Economics and Decision Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Economics & Decision Sciences
- Business Analytics
The Bachelor of Business in Economics is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB Accreditation is known, worldwide, as the longest standing, most recognized form of specialized/professional accreditation an institution and its business programs can earn.
Economics: "Why my major matters"
By: Sarah Blaase '14 MA '13 BB Economics & Sloane Levin '14 BB Economics and Finance
(from Western Courier, 28 September 2012)
Economics is interesting, plain and simple. Why do we, as consumers, buy certain products? Why does the government enact certain policies or decide to raise taxes? Questions like these demonstrate why economics is all about the study of choice. We chose to major in economics because the job opportunities are seemingly endless.
Career options for economics majors vary with lucrative opportunities in finance and banking, health care, government agencies, sales and marketing, and even the sports world has a place for economics.
Economics is not only important for our careers, but on a personal level as well. Having a strong understanding of the subject will help us become financially smarter, better consumers and more informed voters. The logic and analytical skills developed throughout the undergraduate experience are also great preparation for graduate school.
Lastly, economics is fun. Trust us and read "Freakonomics," or watch "Moneyball." As mentioned, economics provides the necessary skills to prepare one for success in graduate school or the job market. Some of the most successful businessmen like Warren Buffet and Sam Walton had degrees in economics.
Economics will simply help you better understand how the world works. Western Illinois University has a great economics department, and we encourage all students to take an economics course or attend an Economics Student Association (ESA) meeting to find out more information.
- Oct 1, 2014: 2014 Executive in Residence for the Western Illinois University College of Business and Technology (CBT)
- Oct 2, 2014: Informational Meeting on IT Career Opportunities with State Farm
- Oct 7, 2014: Informational Meeting on IT Career Opportunities with Caterpillar
- Oct 8, 2014: Agriculture Career Fair
- Oct 14, 2014: Meet-and-Greet with the Great River Human Resource Association (GRHRA)
- Oct 15, 2014: Ag Quiz Bowl
- Oct 18, 2014: 22nd Annual Smokin' Hog
- Oct 18, 2014: School of Engineering Open House
- Oct 24, 2014: Fall 2014 School of Agriculture Open House
- Oct 24, 2014: Engineering Technology Open House
- 2014 WIU Homecoming Royalty Named
- Engineering Technology Scholarships
- SHRM Hosts Guest Speaker and Alumnus...
- USDA's Kirk Hanlin: '14 Exec in...
- SHRM Renews WIU Alignment
- Graphic Communication Program...
- Westen Awarded Outstanding Advisor
- Neumann Named Interim CBT Dean