Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Technology and ELL Requirements
Successful completion of the Technology Competency Assessment is a requirement for entrance into the Teacher Education Program at Western Illinois University.
Teacher candidates will complete five modules through Western Online of an artifact-based online assessment demonstrating knowledge and application of word processing (Microsoft Word), presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint), spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel), database software (Microsoft Access), and Internet and Computer Safety. The assessment is completed during the semester the Teacher Candidate signs up for it with specific deadlines set for each of the five modules.
Candidates are required to complete ELL (English Language Learners) modules prior to student teaching. More information related to this requirement can be found at http://www.wiu.edu/cpep/ell-modules.html
When candidates register for the TCA and ELL modules in HH 111, they must pay a $40 registration fee that includes both the TCA ($25) and ELL modules ($15). The TCA must be completed during the semester for which the candidate registered. Failure to successfully complete the TCA in that semester requires candidates to re-register for an additional $25 fee. Once candidates register for the ELL modules, they have from the time they registered until they graduate or withdraw from the program.
Other Professional Development
Physical Education majors are strongly encouraged and expected to
complete professional development outside of required course work and
The following opportunities are available for additional professional development:
- Membership and participation in the Association of Physical Educators in Kinesiology (APEK) at WIU – this is the club for students majoring in Physical Education
- Membership and participation in the Illinois Association of
Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (IAHPERD) – an annual
convention is held each November and students have the opportunity to
- Opportunities to be involved in presenting sessions are also available to interested students
- Membership and participation at the regional and/or national levels of the American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD) is also encouraged
- Coaching youth in school and recreational settings are available in Macomb and other nearby communities.