There are a number of textbooks providing instruction in the forms and conventions of particular disciplines (with titles like Writing About History or Writing in the Social Sciences). An excellent generic textbook is Chris Anson and Lance Wilcox's A Field Guide to Writing (Harper Collins: 1992). The Field Guide covers journal writing, writing-to-learn assignments, research papers, and disciplinary conventions.
The Writing Program has adopted Diana Hacker's A Pocket Style Manual (Bedford Books, 1993) for use in all English 100, 180, and 280 courses. It is strongly recommended for use in WID courses as well.
- Connolly, Paul and Theresa Vilardi. New Methods in College Writing Programs: Theories into Practice. New York: Modern Language Association, 1986.
- Bazerman, Charles and David R. Russell, eds. Landmark Essays on Writing Across the Curriculum. Davis, CA: Hermagoras Press, 1994.
- Fulwiler, Toby and Art Young, eds. Language Connections: Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum. Urbana: National Council of Teachers of English, 1982.
- Fulwiler, Toby and Art Young, eds. Programs that Work: Models and Methods for Writing Across the Curriculum. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, Boyton/Cook, 1990.
- Gere, Anne Ruggles. Roots in the Sawdust: Writing to Learn Across the Disciplines. Urbana: National Council of Teachers of English, 1985.
- Griffin, C. Williams, ed. Teaching Writing in All Disciplines. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1982.
- Jolliffe, David. Advances in Writing Research, Volume II: Writing in the Academic Disciplines. New York: Ablex, 1988.
- Lindemann, Erica. A Rhetoric for Writing Teachers. New York: Oxford, 1995.
- Matalene, Carolyn, ed. Worlds of Writing: Teaching and Learning in Discourse Communities of Work. New York: Random House, 1989.
- Noguchi, Rei. Grammar and the teaching of Writing: Limits and Possibilities. Urbana: National Council of Teachers of English, 1991.
- Thaiss, Christopher, ed. Writing to Learn: Essays and Reflections by College Teachers Across the Curriculum. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt, 1983.
- Young, Art and Toby Fulwiler. Writing Across the Disciplines: Research into Practice. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, Boynton/Cook, 1986.
- Zinsser, William. Writing to Learn. New York: Harper and Row, 1988.