Administrative Services

Approval Date: 7/21/04
Approved By: President

Moving Expenses Guidelines

New full-time, tenured/tenure track faculty and selected administrative and civil service employees recruited outside the commuting area may be reimbursed for moving/relocation expenses within the following guidelines:

  1. The allowable reimbursement shall be actual expenditures to a usual maximum of $3,000.
  2. Receipts must be submitted for expenses incurred, including moving companies, rentals, gasoline for rentals, and lodging.
  3. There is no reimbursement for meals incurred. Per diem reimbursement is not allowed.
  4. Gasoline receipts for one, one-way trip may be submitted for one personal vehicle. Alternatively, mileage for relocation travel will be calculated at the Internal Revenue Service standard mileage rate, one way, as determined by concentric circles from the previous location.
  5. Reimbursement for house hunting expenses is not allowed.
  6. If two or more individuals occupying the same household are appointed to eligible positions, the moving expense reimbursement shall not exceed the amount payable to one individual.

A written request for anticipated reimbursement must be submitted to the respective Vice President for approval. Within one month after employment begins, a Direct Pay Authorization (DPA) should be submitted to the Department and forwarded to the respective Vice President for processing.

  1. It shall be the responsibility of the President and Vice Presidents to fund the moving expenses necessitated by this policy.
  2. The appropriate Vice President may fund additional costs from his/her resources.
  3. In the Provost's immediate reporting areas, the hiring Dean may fund additional costs as appropriate, from College resources.
  4. Separate DPA's charged to different accounts may not be submitted for payment in excess of the maximum allowed or for expenses not approved by the appropriate Vice President.

Moving and relocation expenses are subject to the adequacy of legislative appropriations. For each fiscal year, the University may establish new reimbursement maximums. Any modifications will reflect anticipated funds available in the internal operating budget for this purpose.