Quad Cities Campus

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Are there rehearsals?

No rehearsals are held for any Commencement activities.

Where do I purchase my Cap & Gown and Announcements?

The University Bookstore is the sole source provider of officially licensed Western Illinois University graduation regalia. To ensure you receive the correct Western Illinois University commencement wear, please order your caps and gowns from the University Bookstore only, http://www.bookstore.wiu.edu/Graduation_ep_48.html

The University Union Bookstore and Document and Publication Services (DPS) offer two different styles of graduation announcements. See their respective websites for more information.

Is my name listed in the commencement program?

Graduation applications must be on file in the Office of the Registrar by March 20, 2015 in order to meet printing deadlines. Students who have invoked the Privacy Act will not be listed in the program or have their names released to local media.

Is there a dress code?

You must wear the appropriate cap and gown. Signs or slogans on top of the cap are not permitted and will be removed. Undergraduates wear tassels on the right side, graduates wear tassels on the left side. Chords or stoles are only permitted to be worn by members of Blue Key National Honor Society, Mortar Board, or Phi Kappa Phi.

Do I need tickets for the ceremony?

No tickets are needed. Seating is on a first-come, first served basis. Doors open 30 minutes before the ceremony at The RiverCenter in the Quad Cities. The RiverCenter Address is: The RiverCenter 136 E. 3rd Street Davenport, Iowa

Where do I park?

The RiverCenter parking information and directions.

What do I wear to recognize honors?

Medallions will be awarded at the Academic Honors Convocation to students who graduate with Academic Distinction (cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude). For more information about the Academic Honors Convocation, please contact the Centennial Honors College, (309) 298-2228.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed approximately 6-8 weeks after commencement.

What if my name or address has changed since submitting my graduation application?

Please contact the Graduation Department in the Office of the Registrar at (309) 298-1891 to make changes.

Where do I store personal belongings during Commencement?

Please do not bring extra belongings, there isn’t storage available during the ceremony.

How do I order photos or a DVD of the ceremony?

Contact Visual Production Center, (309) 298-1358, VPC@wiu.edu.

What if my guests or I need disability seating/assistance?

There will be wheelchairs available for those who require assistance. They will be off the entrance of The RiverCenter. Families and guests may contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 298-1977. Students may contact Disability Resource Center at (309) 298-2512, or Audrey Adamson (309) 762-9481 ext.62573.

When will the listing of graduates be in my hometown newspaper?

Once the list has been processed, it is submitted to newspapers by University Relations. You can find the name you are looking for by going to http://www.wiu.edu/CountyNews/