Quad Cities Campus
Society of Educators
WIU Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Address: http://www.facebook.com/QCSOE
- President ~ Rob Kinzenbaw
- Vice-President ~
- Treasurer ~ Zachary Fonteyne
- Secretary ~
- Advisor ~ Dr. Susan Massey email@example.com
Biography of Organization:
Society of Educators is committed to giving pre-service teachers the information and experiences they need to be successful educators while also promoting and hosting events in the surrounding Western Illinois University-Quad Cities community. The organization provides opportunities for education majors to develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the teaching profession. With monthly meetings and various events throughout the semester, teacher candidates have the opportunity to build contacts, develop networks and create connections with peers and professionals of the field.
Mission/Objectives of Organization:
- To provide opportunities for Teacher Education majors to develop a better understanding of and appreciation for the education profession.
- To provide opportunities for WIU-QC students to engage in dialogue about their selected academic area of interest.
- To encourage scholastic achievement for individuals with similar interests to engage in social and professional activities and to promote dialogue among students, faculty and the community.
- To inform organizational members and affiliates of the requirements for graduation/certification, student teaching, upcoming events, and changes to the curriculum.
- To provide WIU-QC students with the opportunities to interact with area educators and educational administrators.
- To present a variety of speakers that will enhance the understanding of the inner workings of the school systems, and the teaching profession for members and those interested in education.
Annual Block Party – As the name suggests, this block party is open to WIU students, their families, and those in the surrounding community. Previous Block Party’s events have included face painting, balloon animals, bouncy houses, science activities, refreshments and more!
Project Wet/Project Wild: This science program is designed to create an interactive learning environment for children. It is intended to teach educators how to incorporate science activities through hands on learning while also supporting the foundation for science principles. Project Wet focuses on science concepts incorporating water (i.e., the water cycle) while Project Wild focuses on wildlife and biology theories.
See the Sound/Visual Phonics Workshop: Visual Phonics is “a multisensory strategy that represents all of the sounds of English with a hand-shape cue and a corresponding written symbol. It is not a program or a curriculum, but rather a strategy for representing sound in a visible, concrete way.” – Dave Krupke “What Exactly is Visual Phonics?”