Financial Aid

FAQ - Student Employment

  • How do I receive Federal Work Study?
    • Federal Work Study is a federally funded student employment program and eligibility is determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, and funds are available, it will be listed on your financial aid award letter available on STARS. If you were not awarded Federal Work Study, but find a department that wants to hire you through the Federal Work Study program, that department should contact the Student Employment Office at (309)298-1996 and if you are eligible for the program, you will be put on a wait list. If Federal Work Study funds become available, awards are then made to students who are on the wait list.
  • What should I do if I found a job that wants to hire me but I don't have Federal Work Study?
    • Ask the employer to call the Work Study office to request consideration if funds become available later. You will be contacted by email at a later date, if funds become available
  • What is the difference between Federal Work Study and regular student employment?
    • Regular student employment has the same qualifications and pay rates as Federal Work Study jobs. Many student employment opportunities are available with university departments. Student employment is a good way to earn money while building a resume for the future. Student employees find that part-time employment can be a nice "mix" with an academic career. Research shows an effective mix between work and school is no more than 12-15 hours for upper class students and no more than 8-10 hours for new students.

      To learn more about Federal Work Study and regular student employment, or to search job listings, visit the Student Employment website.