Teacher Education

Educator Preparation

General Information -  Prospective, Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

Prior to registering, all new freshmen will be placed into English based on ACT/SAT scores. The mathematics department will do an initial placement into math courses using a student's math ACT score and the math courses completed in high school as guidelines. The mathematics department may recommend that a student take the math placement test (called ALEKS) to improve the placement level.  Refer to the Mathematics Department for the official procedure for placement.

Frequently asked questions about ALEKS testing as well as a practice exam.

E-Mail: All students need to make sure they activate and use their WIU e-mail (ECOM account). All offices on campus and most faculty will be utilizing this system to correspond with you. The University does not recommend the forwarding of WIU e-mail. Forwarding your mail removes the security protocols that are in place with the WIU accounts. Much of the information sent to you by the various offices on campus may contain personal/confidential material.

School Address: If you are not living in one of the University residence halls, it is very important for you to make sure you have filed your local school address and phone number with the Registrar's Office. Otherwise, all mail and phone calls will be sent to your home address. Changes can be processed through the "Comment" screen on STARS, in the Student Assistance Center of the University Union or the Registrar's Office (Sherman Hall 110).

Pre-registration for the next semester begins in November/April [spring/fall semesters]. The registration appointment day and time may be found by logging onto STARS. . All encumbrances must be cleared before you will be allowed to register. Course offerings for the semester may be viewed through STARS.

Scholarships: There are a number of university and departmental scholarships available to new incoming transfer and freshmen students. Be sure to also check the individual major department website for information and applications available through them.

Tutoring/Counseling: If you are having trouble with any of your courses or personal problems, be sure to check the services available through the University Counseling Center. Tutoring is also available through the University Advising and Academic Services and most academic departments. Check with the instructor for location and times available for that department's academic assistance center.

Related Links

Advising Contact Information

Kim MorenoKim Moreno

Teacher Education Advisor
Bilingual/English as a Second Language
Elementary Education
Quad Cities Campus

(309) 762-9481 ext.62325
Schedule an Appointment

Riley KonitzerRiley Konitzer
(Pronouns: They/Them)

Teacher Education Advisor
Middle Level Education
Bilingual/English as a Second Language
Early Childhood, Elementary, Physical Education and Special Education
Macomb Campus
Horrabin Hall 40
(309) 298-1438
Schedule an Appointment