Alcohol & Other Drugs

Frequently Asked Questions

What do AOD, BAC, and DUI stand for?
AOD is Alcohol and Other Drugs Resource Center, BAC is blood alcohol content, and DUI is driving under the influence.
Will my family find out that I come?
The AODRC abides by the same confidentiality rules and regulations that Beu Health Center exercises. If you are 18 years of age or older, we can not release information to your family regarding the information discussed in session, without your written permission.
Do you promote abstinence?
If you are under 21 it is illegal to drink even if you don't think it should be. We would prefer students to make choices that did not involve alcohol or any mood altering substance, but we only promote abstinence for students under the legal drinking age. We promote responsibility and accountability. We educate students to be safe if they choose to drink.
When does AA or NA meet?
Please visit the AA-Macomb website.
Can I drink if I am taking medication?
It can be dangerous to mix prescription medicines with alcohol and/or recreational drugs. Most medications will interact with other drugs and substances, causing serious reactions and potentially lethal reactions. There are currently 150 medications that should not be mixed with alcohol. Check with your pharmacist whether your prescription or over-the-counter medication will interact adversely with alcohol. As a general rule, it's best to be avoid alcohol if you are on medication. Also check with your pharmacist regarding the interaction of alcohol and over the counter medicines such as pain relievers, allergy or cold medicines and sinus OTC drugs. Many over the counter medicines can also be dangerous when taken in combination with alcohol.
I'm a faculty member and I have a trouble student – what do I do?
Call the AOD Center for advice, and input on how best to obtain help for students with potential addictions. AOD Counselors can provide faculty education on alcohol addiction treatment and prevention, and can also create and provide classroom presentations around the topic of drug & alcohol abuse, alcohol-related injuries, assaults and STD’s and tips for discouraging students arriving in class “under the influence”.Fill out a Presentation Request Form to schedule your classroom presentation now.
How can I help make a difference on campus?
Fill out a Presentation Request Form or have your RA call AOD to have a specialist come talk to your floor about drinking and other drugs. Have the president of your sorority or fraternity do the same and call us to come talk to your fellow members about issues that relate to them. 
How much does an appointment at the AOD/RC cost?
Court-ordered evaluations for clients mandated to receive services by the state or by WIU’s Student Judicial Services are $100.00. The cost of DUI evaluation is $135.00 and a DUI evaluation update for the state is $90.00. The DUI Risk Education class series (4 classes/total of 10 hours) is priced at $120.00. Early intervention (individual or group) education is charged at $30/hour. Individual or group treatment sessions are also priced at $30/hour. Most weekly treatment appointments are 1 hour in length. Initial consultations on alcohol or substance use/abuse are free of charge for non-mandated clients. Initial appointments for self-referred individuals needing help or advice for a friend are free of charge. If you feel your friend has a problem with drugs or alcohol, you can talk to a substance abuse counselor free of charge.
My friend drinks a lot and often, but I can't seem to get them to slow down. What can I do to help them?
The first thing to do is seek expert advice. You can talk to a counselor at AOD free of charge and anything discussed in your session is strictly confidential. Your AOD counselor can provide another perspective on the situation and give you tips on how to support your friend’s wellness. If you feel that you want to talk to your friend about getting help for their drinking problem, make sure you do confront your friend when you are both sober to help ensure success in being heard. A good way to learn about helping those with problematic substance use is to attend Al Anon meetings or to attend AA meetings with the person you are supporting. Help and interpersonal support goes a long way towards helping those with alcohol or substance abuse problems.