College of Arts and Sciences
John Hallwas Liberal Arts Lecture
In September 2003, English Professor and Historian John Hallwas delivered the inaugural Liberal Arts Lecture on “The Liberal Arts, Civic Responsibility and Western’s Mission.” Political Science Professor and Chair Charles Helm presented the 2004 lecture, “Declining Civic Engagement: Democratic Theory and Liberal Arts to the Rescue?” The 2005 lecture, “Reading Between the (Front) Lines: Science and Stories,” was given by Karen B. Mann, professor of English and journalism.
The Liberal Arts Lecture is an outgrowth of the College of Arts and Sciences liberal arts discussion group formed in 2002 as a way to express commitment to a liberal arts education at Western and share approaches for maintaining a high quality educational program.
Dr. Hallwas wrote, “In the face of increasing vocational emphasis in higher education, pervasive shallowness in our culture, and excessive individualism (that overlooks social commitment), we believe that the liberal arts component of our bachelor’s degree program should dare to assert that there is inherent value in learning, that human purposes must always receive reflective reconsideration, that coherence of thought and clarity of expression are essential values, that breadth of outlook and cultural sensitivity are indispensable, and most importantly, that transformation of the self to prepare for civic responsibility should be central to the undergraduate experience.”
The College of Arts and Sciences announced the renaming of the lecture to the John Hallwas Liberal Arts Lecture in September 2004 at Hallwas’s retirement reception, where he was honored for 34 years of service to Western Illinois as an English professor and archivist as well as a public scholar, regional historian and community activist.
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2016 - by Edward J. Woell, September 1, 2016
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2015 - by Gary Schmidt, September 10, 2015
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2014 - by James Rabchuk, September 11, 2014
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2013 - by C. S'thembile West, September 4, 2013
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2012 - by Jennifer McNabb, September 4, 2012
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2011 - by Christopher Sutton, September 8, 2011
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2010 - by Bill Knight, September 7, 2010
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2009 - by Iraj Kalantari, September 14, 2009
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2008 - by Rick Hardy, September 15, 2008
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2007 - by Al Goldfarb, September 25, 2007
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2006 - by Tracy Knight, October 4, 2006
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2005 - by Karen Mann, September 7, 2005
- Liberal Arts Lecture 2004 - by Charles Helm, September 14, 2004
- Inaugural Liberal Arts Lecture - by John E. Hallwas, September 16, 2003