Quad Cities Campus

Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Student FAQs

For Fall 2022 & Fall 2023

Test Optional

Admission is test optional - SAT/ACT scores are not required. You must earn a high school diploma and meet the requirements below to be admitted.

2.75+ GPA on a 4.0 scale OR 3.44+ GPA on a 5.0 scale

You will be admitted.

GPA plus other criteria

If your high school grade point average is between a 2.74 and a 2.0, your application will receive a personal review.

You are encouraged to submit SAT/ACT scores if you have taken either exam

You are encouraged to submit a high school transcript rather than self-report when you complete the admissions application. We may request other information, as needed.

Top 10% of Class Admission

Students in the top 10% of their high school class at an accredited Illinois public or private high school will be automatically admitted to WIU.

Applicants to WIU who have earned 24 or more semester hours (36 or more quarter hours) of college work will be considered for transfer student admission on the basis of college performance only.

A 2.0 Cumulative GPA for all hours attempted from all institutions attended and good standing at the last college/university attended are required for admission.

Students with less than 24 credit hours earned will need to submit high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores (if available) for freshman admission requirements

There are a few basic steps for application to WIU.

  1. First fill out an application. This can most easily be done online at http://www.wiu.edu/admissions/apply_now/
  2. You must also have transcripts sent from all previous schools attended to Undergraduate Admissions, Western Illinois University 1 University Circle Macomb, IL 61455 (Processing of applications occurs in Macomb so we ask documents be sent there).
  3. Electronic Documents can be sent to: admissions@wiu.edu
  4. Submit military records such as DD214, if applicable.
  5. Finally, you must pay an application fee of $30.00. (Fee waivers are available for those who qualify. Contact admissions for more information)

If you are a former WIU student who has not been enrolled for one or more spring or fall semesters who wish to be readmitted, you will need to fill out the reentry application which can be found online: Reentry Form

The Admissions Office will begin processing your application once the application fee and supporting documents have been received. In busy times processing can take 2 to 3 weeks.

Don't wait for the deadline. Apply early!

For Freshman students we recommend applying at the start of your Senior year in high school. Scholarship deadlines for freshman can be as early as November and February. We want students to have the ability to apply in time.

For transfer students it is wise to begin applying at least a semester before you plan to attend WIU-QC. You want to have plenty of time for your application to be processed and to get signed up for an early Advising appointment. The following are good guidelines for early admission:

  • For Fall Semester: Apply in January or February
  • For Spring Semester: Apply in September
  • For Summer Semester: Apply in January

No. You want to apply as early as possible. Admissions will evaluate you based on the course work that you have already completed. You will need to send your complete transcript when all your grades are posted, but your transcript will show your completed courses and courses in progress which will be satisfactory for admissions.

You will receive notification from the Admissions Office regarding your acceptance status or if we are in need of more information to make a decision.

Registration for classes will begin at different times depending on the semester you enroll. You will be eligible to register once you have met with an academic advisor and the registration dates open.

Fall & Summer Registration opens in late March/Early April

Spring Registration opens in late October.

Western accepts all academic credit with grades of D- and above from properly accredited institutions. The Admissions Office is responsible for evaluating a student's transfer work for applicability to general education and Bachelors Degree requirements. It is important to meet with your departmental advisor as soon as possible to discuss these requirements. Here is the contact information for WIU-QC academic advisors.

Note: There are certain academic degrees that require grades of C and above in coursework required to satisfy general education and Bachelors degree requirements. Please consult with an academic advisor.

The Quad Cities campus offers undergraduate degrees that can be completed on campus and some that can be completed 100% online. For these programs please see our full list here.

The best resources for exploring scholarship assistance at the WIU-QC is the web site for our scholarships. Transfer students should pay particular attention to the scholarships offered by their major department and home college. For financial aid information, the website provides a wealth of information.

  • An Associate of Arts degree (AA) or an Associate of Science Degree (AS) from an accredited community college will transfer to satisfy University General Education requirements.
  • An AAS degree from any community college is not designed to transfer, but can often have courses that will work towards the bachelor's degree program.
  • All Bachelor Degree requirements will be evaluated on a course by course basis for all transfer students. Please contact the Admissions office for additional details about your degree.

If you think a transfer course could fill a University Graduation Requirement, contact the Admissions Office and provide a description and syllabus from that course. If you think a transfer course could fill a major requirement take a course description and syllabus to your departmental advisor.

Western's Audit of Requirements for Degrees (WARD) is an automated record reflecting a student's academic progress toward degree completion in his/her declared major. By considering Western's work, transfer courses, and courses in progress, this analysis provides timely information on a student's progress toward meeting degree requirements. Students may view their WARD report through STARS.

The length of time you spend at Western depends on a variety of factors. For transfer students it will depend on the number of credits transferred that apply to the degree program. For all students the number of credit hours taken each semester and personal reasons may contribute to the time line.