Summer 2015 Financial Aid Information
Complete the WIU Summer 2015 Financial Aid Application to have your aid eligibility determined for the Summer 2015 semester. Applications should be submitted by 7/27/15 for federal loan consideration and 7/31/15 for all other aid.
The Application Process
- Complete the WIU Summer 2015 Financial Aid Application online.
- File both 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 FAFSAs at www.fafsa.gov if you have not already done so.
- Watch for requests for verification documents if you are selected for verification for either year.
- A minimum of three weeks should be expected for processing the application by the Financial Aid Office.
- Notifications about your application and eligibility will be sent to your WIU email account.
- If not already filed, a 2014-2015 FAFSA must be FILED BY JUNE 30, 2015 to be eligible for a federal loan.
- Attendance in a minimum of six hours of degree course work is required for federal loan eligibility.
- Summer loans are normally an extension of your academic year eligibility. In most instances, the amount you borrowed during the 2014-15 academic year will affect your eligibility for summer borrowing.
- Undergraduate Unsubsidized Loan interest begins accruing at 4.66% from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. No payments are required until after enrollment ceases or drops below six hours. Graduate Unsubsidized Loan interest is 6.21%.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov, login with your FAFSA PIN, complete and submit the information, if:
- You have not previously done a Master Promissory Note.
- You are a first time borrower and have not completed the Entrance Counseling.
- You may be eligible for a 2015 Summer Pell Grant if:
- You were Pell-eligible during the 2014-15 school year AND you attended less than full-time during the 2014-15 school year, OR
- You are graduating Summer or Fall 2015 AND are Pell-eligible after completing the 2015-16 FAFSA review process.
- The Federal Pell Grant will not pay for graduate courses, some repeat courses, audit courses, deleted courses if the charges are also deleted, or courses you did not attend or for which you did not complete any work.
- The Illinois MAP Grant is not funded for Summer terms.
- For Summer 2015 Scholarships, please print, complete, and return the Foundation Summer Session Scholarship Application to the Scholarship Office by May 8, 2015.
- The Commitment Scholarship is not awarded for Summer terms.
Disbursement of Aid
- The Financial Aid Office is required to re-certify your aid eligibility (including loans) before your funds are released to your university billing account. Changes to your schedule could affect your aid eligibility.
- Your summer aid could be withdrawn if you fail to meet WIU Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements in the Handbook & Policies/Eligibility section. You will be notified by WIU email after Spring grades are posted if you did not make satisfactory progress.
- See the Repeated Coursework section of Handbook & Policies/Eligibility if you are repeating a course.
- The earliest that aid can be credited to your university billing account is May 27, 2015.
- The earliest that refunds can be disbursed to your personal account is June 5, 2015.
- If you change enrollment after a refund is disbursed, you may owe money back to the university.