The Big Pink Volleyball Tournament is a philanthropic event co-sponsored by Campus Recreation and Thompson Hall to raise funds for breast cancer charities. Teams play with a four-foot wide, hot pink volleyball. Proceeds will be donated to the Peoria Memorial Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and McDonough District Hospital’s Mammogram and Other Cancer Screenings Program. Participants may contribute by participating on a team, purchasing a shirt, or by making a donation.
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT!
Register by Friday, September 30 and receive $10 OFF your team total with Coupon Code 'PINK'
Dates & Deadlines
Registration Opens Monday, September 26!
Payment for registration fees and shirts must be dropped off no later than 6 pm on Monday, October 10 in the Thompson Hall lobby or at the Campus Recreation Big Pink Registration Table during one of the scheduled drop-off times.
Registration & Shirt Order Payment Drop-Off Times
Thompson Hall Lobby
Tuesday 9/27, Wednesday 9/28, Thursday 9/29, Friday 9/30, Monday 10/3, Tuesday 10/4, Thursday 10/6, Friday 10/7
Campus Recreation Registration Table
Mandatory Captain's Meeting
Thursday, October 13 at 5:00, 6:00, or 7:00 in the Sandburg Theatre, University Union
Monday, October 17 - Thursday, October 20 from 4:00 PM-11:00 PM each evening
Starts Tuesday, October 18 at 4:00 pm
Rules & Guidelines
- Teams must have a minimum of four players and a maximum of six players on the court for each game.
- Teams can be co-ed or single-gender, but everyone will play each other in the designated brackets.
- Teams can be in one of five brackets: Residence Hall, Club/Organization, Greek, Faculty/Staff, and Independent.
- You may substitute in and out at any dead ball time. Ask the referee to do this.
- Rally scoring: A point is scored on every serve regardless of the team that serves.
- A ball cannot be played off the wall, poles, or curtain.
- Trapping the ball in the net is not allowed.
- Players must rotate after every server exchange.
- Rotation is clockwise.
- Males and females CAN both jump to hit or block the ball.
- Players in the back row may not jump in front of the 10-foot line to block or hit the ball.
- Games last for 15 minutes. The team with the most points at the end of 15 minutes wins.
- In the case of a tie, play until the next point is scored.
- Server must serve behind the serve line (the 10-foot line).
- Two members of the team may hold the ball up and server may hit it out of their hands, but they have to be behind the serve line.
- You may not attempt to block/spike another team’s serve.
- A maximum of three (3) hits per side is allowed.
- The same person may not hit the ball twice in a row.
- The ball may not be kicked or headed at any time.
- No leaning or sitting on the ball.
- A player cannot hit the net or step over the middle line while making a play.
- No jewelry or watches are allowed during play.
- Athletic shoes are required (i.e., No flip-flops, dress shoes, or barefoot).
- Have fun!!! And please be respectful of your opponents, officials, and people operating the tournament!
- Be 15-20 minutes early to your games. Late arrivals will forfeit their games.
- Don’t forget your student IDs for check-in to the Spencer Student Recreation Center.
- Check-in at the registration table before each game.
- Report the score of your game to the registration table. This is when you will find out when your next game is.
- The tournament is a single elimination tournament.