Signature Academic Programs
From offering bachelor's degrees in forensic chemistry, to housing one of the largest law enforcement programs of its kind in the nation, to providing the only Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre program at an Illinois public institution, Western Illinois University offers a number of standout programs. Noted for their size, unique area of concentration for undergraduate students, or accessibility—including our Broadcasting program, which lets you get hands-on experience from day one—Western Illinois University's signature programs have garnered recognition for the graduates they produce.
These programs, of course, are just a few examples from Western's broad spectrum of academic majors and programs, which includes as many as 62 for undergraduate degree options. For more on the breadth of choices Western has to offer, visit www.wiu.edu/academics/majors.
Supply Chain Management
- One of three programs of its kind in the state.
- One of only 39 programs nationally which is accredited by AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
- Graduates are specifically requested by John Deere, Caterpillar, and 16 other companies.
- WIU is one of two universities in the state offering this program.
- Major construction companies have recruited WIU CM graduates to manage corporate construction projects with starting salaries over $60,000.
- Offers the only sports broadcasting production program in the state.
- Immediate training on equipment through unique applied curriculum.
- Excellent placement for graduates
- Outstanding internship programs.
- National student award winners.
Law Enforcement and Justice Administration
- The fourth largest program of its kind in the nation; largest program of its kind outside of Texas and Florida.
- Internationally recognized curriculum including minors in fire administration, homeland security, and security administration.
- Employment opportunities for graduates with the FBI, Secret Service, police departments, corrections, and corporations from across the country.
- Only BFA in musical theatre in Illinois at a public institution.
- Comprehensive musical theatre professional training.
- Excellent placement of graduates.
- One of only three programs of its kind in the Midwest.
- One of only nine programs of its kind in the nation among public universities.
- First undergraduate degree program developed in the state in response to 9/11 and other natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina.
- Graduates are prepared to coordinate disaster response and crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and train emergency management professionals in both the public and private sectors.
- Job demand for emergency managers is expected to grow 28% in the U.S. by 2012.
- One of only three meteorology degree programs in the state and the only program offered in the WIU service region.
- Our program meets the requirements of the National Weather Service and the American Meteorological Society.
- The only program in the state to have its own radar system.