Graduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Where do I purchase my Cap and Gown and Announcements?

The University Union Bookstore is the sole provider of officially licensed Western Illinois University graduation regalia.

The University Union Bookstore (see and University Printing and Mailing Center (see offer two different styles of graduation announcements. See their respective website for more information.

Where do I purchase the graduate hood for the ceremony?

The graduate hooding is part of the ceremony. You will be hooded as you cross the stage. It must be purchased along with your cap and gown from the WIU Bookstore.

Is there a dress code?

You must wear the appropriate cap and gown. (View videos on properly wearing your cap & gown and graduate/doctoral hoods.)

Where is the ceremony?

Western Hall - Macomb (Fall and Spring)
Vibrant Arena at The Mark - Moline, IL (Spring only)

Where do I park?

Q-Lot, on the east side of Western Hall is available for public parking. Handicapped-accessible parking spaces at the Macomb ceremony are available to the east and west of Western Hall.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed approximately 6-8 weeks after commencement to the address you provided on the graduation application.

What if my name or address has changed since submitting my graduation application?

You must notify the Graduate School representative at the name card table the day of the ceremony or contact the School of Graduate Studies at (309) 298-1806 to make changes.

Where do I store personal belongings during Commencement?

Please do not bring extra belongings. Storage is not available during the ceremony.

How do I order photos of the ceremony?

Contact WIU's Photography & Design Production, (309) 298-1358.

Is my name listed in the online commencement program?

Graduation applications must be on file in the School of Graduate Studies by March 10 (spring commencement) or October 10 (fall commencement) in order to be included in the online program.

Students who have completed the Exclusion of Directory Information form will not be listed in the program or have their names released to local media.

What if my guests or I need disability seating/assistance?

Graduating students, family members, and guests who need special assistance should contact Student Development and Success Center at (309) 298-1884.

When will the listing of graduates be in my hometown newspaper?

Once the list has been processed, it is submitted to newspapers by University Relations. You can find the name you are looking for by going to