Graduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions - Graduation

When do I need to submit my Application for Graduation?

Before March 10 (spring semester), June 10 (summer term), or October 10 (fall semester)

When is the last day to finish all requirements for the degree?

The last day of your final semester.

I was told I have outdated coursework. How can this be?

You have six years to finish your master’s degree before coursework becomes outdated. As an example, courses taken FALL 2001 are outdated after the SUMMER 2007 semester. If you have outdated courses, you must contact the department offering the course to begin the revalidation process. If you have outdated transfer work, you must contact the instructor where the course was taken.

I finished my degree but it was not conferred. What happened?

Your degree may not have been conferred because of one or more of the following:

    1. Your Application for Graduation was not received by the deadline.
    2. You have incomplete coursework from or after Fall 2006. A degree cannot be earned until the incomplete is changed to a letter grade or removed.
    3. Your GPA fell below 3.0. You will need to take graduate-level courses at WIU until you meet this requirement.
    4. You exceeded the C limit and have been removed from the program.
    5. You have not completed your internship which is part of your degree requirements.
    6. An official transcript was not received by the semester deadline for transfer work to be accepted.
    7. Your thesis was not submitted by the Friday before finals week.