About Our Program
The Department of Educational Leadership offers high quality programs in educational leadership. The Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.) leads to certification as school principal, and the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree leads to certification as school superintendent. The Doctorate in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) offers professional development and new knowledge and skills in research and applied research.These programs are approved by the Illinois State Board of Education and have been recognized nationally by the Educational Leadership Constituents Council.
NEW WIU Principal Preparation Program
- The department began the new program in Fall 2012
- New requirements for programs that prepare Illinois school principals took effect September 1, 2012.
- Students in the current program must successfully complete all requirements for certification before September 1, 2014.
Schedule & Information
Distinctive Program Features
- Practice-focused curriculum and student-centered faculty
- Faculty with extensive experience in school leadership roles
- Weekend Academy (classes for a typical course are held on three weekends)
- Most courses taught by full-time faculty
- In-state tuition for Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Indiana residents