Online Atlases From U.S. Government Agencies
Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
- A web site describing the Newberry Library's project to document county boundary changes in the United States from the 1600s to the present.
Historical National Atlases of the United States
- The Library of Congress has scanned the historic National Atlases, including the 1976 atlas that was issued for the U.S. Bicentennial in 1996.
Census Atlas of the United States
- An atlas showing population and housing data from Census 2000.
Mapping Census 2000: The Geography of U.S. Diversity
- An atlas that shows US population patterns and changes from 1990 to 2000.
2010 Census Interactive Population Map
- An interactive mapping site that can be used to map data about the United States from the 2010 Census.
- Agricultural Atlas of the United States
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture maps the production of agricultural commodities using data from the Census of Agriculture. Maps are available online for 1992, 1997, 2002 and 2007.
Food Environment Atlas
- Provides information on access to healthy, affordable food, and community characteristics.
Food Desert Locator
- This online mapping system shows Census tracts that have limited access to affordable healthy foods.
National Broadband Map
- Provides information on broadband access in the United States.
Atlas of Cancer Mortality in the United States
- Provides maps showing distribution of cancer deaths for 1950-69 and 1970-94.
Atlas of United States Mortality
- This atlas shows the primary cause of death for Health Service areas in the United States.
Climate Maps of the United States
- An collection of online maps showing climate data from the 1961-1990 time period. They are not up-to date, nor do they show the current normals. The site provides PDF maps showing various climatic data, including temperature, precipitation, snow and wind that show the climate of the US.
Breeding Bird Atlas Explorer
- A centralized site with information on and links to breeding bird atlases for U.S. States.
Ground Water Atlas of the United States
- Provides information on the location, extent, geology and hydrology of aquifers in the United States.
- TOXMAP is a Geographic Information System (GIS) application that was developed by the Division of Specialized Information Services of the US National Library of Medicine lets users explore data from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)'s Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and Superfund Program geographically. With TOXMAP, a user can search to see whether a particular chemical has been released in their local area.
- EnviroAtlas is an interactive mapping site that was developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that can be used to explore ecosystem services in an area. Ecosystem services are the benefits that people receive from the natural World, such as clean drinking water and the ability to grow food
- Allows users to zoom in on areas to view wetland classification information.
Wind Energy Resource Atlas of the United States
- Shows potential locations for wind energy development in the United States, US regions and Territories.
Great Lakes Environmental Atlas
- An atlas that provides information on the Great Lakes as a single region, combining both U.S. and Canadian data.
Color Landform Atlas of the United States
- A web site with landform and other maps for U.S. States.