Fall 2014 Residence Hall Move-In
All Residence Halls OPEN
Friday, August 22, 2014 at 8 am
Bayliss/Henninger, Corbin/Olson, Lincoln/Washington/Grote, Tanner and Thompson halls will open for check-in beginning at 8:00 am on Friday, August 22, 2014. You can check into your hall between 8:00 am and 10:00 pm anytime/day after the initial "open" date listed above. Peak move-in times tend to be from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
It's important to be prepared and know what to expect before moving in to your new home at Western.
When you get to campus on Friday or Saturday of Fall Move-In . . .
- You will be directed to the appropriate lot, and depending on the time you arrive, you can expect to wait in line for a while.
- When it is your turn, you will be directed to pull in by the entrance and can start to unpack your things out of your car.
- Grab a number from our volunteer students, called the "Move-In Crew." They will be there to get you a cart and help you get your belongings to your room. (The Move-in Crew is only available on Friday and Saturday between 8am and 6pm).
- Once all of your belongings are out, you will be asked to move your car to the appropriate lot. Students will check-in electronically, get their key, and inspect their room.
Once carts and crew are ready and your number is called, you can expect it to take about 30 to 45 minutes to move your belongings to your room. You can also bring your own cart or dollie to save time. All-in-all, our goal is for the entire process to take about 60 to 90 minutes.
Suggested Arrival Times
We encourage you to use the recommended target times below – we try to spread out traffic based on your home's proximity to campus.
If you live within:
- 0-75 miles from campus: Arrive 8-9 am
- 76-125 miles from campus: Arrive 9-10 am
- 126-150 miles from campus: Arrive 10-11 am
- 151-175 miles from campus: Arrive 11 am - Noon
- 176-200 miles from campus: Arrive Noon - 1 pm
- over 200 miles from campus: Arrive After 1 pm
**The above guidelines are suggested times for you to arrive to campus to help distribute on-campus and move-in traffic. The times do not need to be strictly followed.
What is the Check-In Process Like?
As you arrive in Macomb and make your way to campus you can expect to encounter our Office of Public Safety directing traffic. These officers control the flow of cars to the individual residence halls. Once you are directed to approach the building, unload your vehicle near the hall, and while someone stays with the belongings, please move the car to a regular parking lot. After you unload do not leave your vehicle parked near the hall. This will ensure that others are able to do the same.
When you arrive to your residence hall you will be greeted by staff and returning students who will direct you through the check-in process. Our process is an electronic information process, so you will need to know your University ECOM username and password and verify some contact information with us. Then you will be directed to pick-up your room and access keys and asked to inspect your room for any damages we may have missed. Along the way, you will be assigned a move-in crew member (based on availability, expect a wait during peak times) who will help you move in your belongings.