Financial Aid


Welcome to the Financial Aid process at Western Illinois University! The application process is an annual activity beginning anytime after October 1 for the following academic year (fall, spring and summer). The WIU priority consideration date is January 1, but applications are accepted throughout the year. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for all federal aid and the Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP).


Before you begin, some of the following information may be helpful:

Note: Western's School Code for the FAFSA is 001780

Alternative to filing FAFSA

Retaining Illinois Students and Equity (RISE) Act, allows students that are unable to complete the FAFSA for specific reasons to apply for the Illinois MAP grant. Undocumented students or transgender students who have not registered for Selective Service, may still be eligible to apply through to receive Illinois Grants and Scholarships including but not limited to the Monetary Award Program (MAP if they meet the following qualifications.

Undocumented Students
  • Did you reside with your parent or legal guardian while attending a public or private high school in Illinois?
  • Did you graduate from a private or public high school, or receive the equivalent of a high school diploma, in Illinois?
  •  Did you attend school in Illinois for at least three years as of the date you graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma?
  • Will you file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States at the earliest opportunity you are eligible to do so?
  • Have you NOT established a residence outside of Illinois or hold a visa from another country?
Transgender Students
  • Did you NOT complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) due to the requirement to report gender “at birth”?
  • Have you established residency in the state of Illinois for 3 years?

If you believe you qualify for this alternative application to the FAFSA, visit the ISAC website to apply. Please visit the Financial Aid Office, located in Sherman Hall 127 if you would like assistance with the application.