Graduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions - Registration/Class Schedule


How do I register for classes?

Students register via the Student/Alumni Records System (STARS). You will log in using your WIU ID number and password. If it is your first time logging in, your password will be your 8-digit date of birth (e.g. June 1, 2001 = 06012001). Contact 309/298-8324 for STARS assistance.

When can I register for classes?

If you are registering for the first time, you will be able to register the first day of open registration. For future registration, you will be assigned a pre-registration appointment date and time. You will not be able to register prior to that date and time. You can check your WIU ECom account and STARS for information on your appointment time or view the time table here. All holds must be cleared prior to registration.

What classes are being offered?

You can do a customized course search (under ‘Quick Look’).

I would like to register in a course that is full or requires special permission. What should I do?

Some courses require special permission by the academic department. Students should contact the academic department to secure special permission. Additionally, if the class is full you will need to contact the department to see if they have a wait list or can advise you appropriately.

I am a WIU undergraduate student and would like to take graduate-level classes but STARS won’t allow me to register for them.  What should I do?

If you haven’t already done so, you will need to apply to the School of Graduate Studies as a new graduate student.  You will need to also complete and submit an Undergraduate Request to Take Graduate Level Courses for Graduate Credit form and submit to the Registrar’s Office. It will then be forwarded to the School of Graduate Studies and you will be notified via your WIU email address once the request has been reviewed. If approved, you will then be able to register yourself in the courses.

I have been accepted into an integrated bachelor’s/master’s degree program.  How do I enroll in bridge (“B”) credit courses?

Integrated degree students must submit to the Registrar’s Office the Undergraduate Request to Enroll in Integrated Baccalaureate and Master’s Degree Bridge Course form. If possible, it is recommended that you enroll in the undergraduate level of the course to reserve your spot in the class. The School of Graduate Studies will apply permission and you will be notified via your WIU email address once the request has been reviewed. If approved and you are already registered in the course, the bridge (“B”) credit will automatically appear on your class schedule. If you are not already in the course, permission will be in place to allow you to enroll yourself in the course.