Financial Aid

Paying For Graduate School Paying for Grad School PDF

WIU students pursuing a graduate degree can be considered for the following types of aid - also see our "Paying for Graduate School" presentation for additional information:

  • Student Employment Funds that the student earns while enrolled. Opportunities include regular student employment.
  • Assistantships & Tuition Waivers Funds that the student earns while enrolled. Assistantships vary, but can include technical/support services, clerical assistance, research, and teaching opportunities.
  • Scholarships Funds that are not repaid . Scholarships at WIU are awarded through the Scholarship Office or University departments and generally require an additional application.
  • Loans Funds that must be repaid. Both Federal Direct and GradPLUS loans are available for graduate-level students.

Application Requirements

Graduate Students

To be considered for an assistantship/tuition waiver, an Application for Assistantship must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies

To be considered for federal student loans, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year you plan on attending. File your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st for the following academic year. 

Additional Information

If you haven’t already, make sure to visit Graduate Admissions!