Undergraduate Admissions

Non-Traditional Freshman

Here at Western, we understand that not every student is going to attend college straight out of high school. We would like you to know that it's ok and we have many different options for you here. Being adaptable and willing to do what works best for students is what has kept them coming back to Western and telling their friends about us. We wish you great success in your college endeavors.

Applicants Without a High School Diploma

Persons who do not have a high school diploma and are not currently attending high school may apply for admission if they have passed the General Educational Development (GED) Test. Applicants must submit official GED test scores to the WIU Office of Admissions.  GED holders will meet with advisors who will discuss specific courses needed to meet any deficiencies in academic requirements.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

You may earn academic credit by taking proficiency examinations such as the College Level Examination Program. For more information, visit the School of Distance Learning, International Studies, and Outreach web page.

Delayed Entry

Applicants who did not continue their education immediately following high school must meet general admission requirements in effect at the time of entry to WIU and must meet the course-specific admission requirements in effect at the time of their graduation from high school.

Non-degree Status

Any student who has earned a high school diploma or its equivalent may attend Western as a non-degree student without meeting the regular admission requirements under the following provisions:

  1. The student may enroll in no more than six semester hours per term, and may accrue no more than 30 semester hours at WIU.
  2. Students who have earned more than 30 semester hours of college credit at Western Illinois University are not normally eligible for non-degree status. However, such students may appeal to the Council on Admission, Graduation, and Academic Standards (CAGAS) for non-degree status.
  3. Students currently on academic probation or suspension are ineligible for non-degree status.
  4. Non-degree students must apply to CAGAS if they wish to be considered for degree candidacy.
  5. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.

Special Admission High School Students

High school seniors who meet regular freshman admission standards may be accepted for special admission to enroll in University courses while concurrently enrolled in secondary school. The following provisions apply:

  1. The principal of the high school or an appropriate designee must provide written support for their admission applications.
  2. Students must agree to pursue prescribed academic advising through the University Advising and Academic Support Center.
  3. Such students may enroll for a maximum of two courses per semester or during the summer without permission of the Council on Admission, Graduation, and Academic Standards (CAGAS).
  4. Only 100 or 200 level college courses may be taken without permission of the appropriate department.
  5. Exceptions to the above policy must be approved by CAGAS.

Provisional Admission

Applicants who do not meet the above course-specific requirements, but are otherwise qualified for admission, may be provisionally admitted to Western Illinois University. In the event that new students granted provisional admission to the University have deficiencies in course-specific requirements, the University will consider alternative evidence or other academic activities in order to determine the mastery of the knowledge and skills in the area(s) of the deficiency.

Part-time Continuing Education Students

Persons who do not meet the requirements for regular freshman applicants or transfer students, who have graduated from high school or passed the GED examination, and whose primary activity is other than being a full-time student in higher education, may apply for admission to continuing education courses as a special continuing education student.

After completing 20 semester hours in Continuing Education courses, students with at least a C average may apply to the Council on Admission, Graduation, and Academic Standards (CAGAS) for admission to regular University degree programs. Credit earned as a Continuing Education student prior to regular admission may or may not be applied toward a degree, depending upon the program chosen. The specific course requirements for delayed entry students apply to part-time Continuing Education students who enter regular University degree program.

Contact Info

Undergraduate Admissions
Sherman Hall 115
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455

Email: admissions@wiu.edu
Phone: (309) 298-3157