Western Illinois University - Quad Cities - Academics
Web Tools and Search Bar
Education Specialist Admission Process
Step 1 – Application to the School of Graduate Studies
Please complete the Application for Admission to the WIU School of Graduate Studies before continuing with the Department of Educational Leadership application.
Step 2 - Application to the Educational Leadership Department
- Download Application for Admission to Educational Leadership Department.pdf
- Return a completed application form, your resume, and all references to the Admissions Secretary, Educational Leadership, Horrabin Hall 81, Macomb, IL 61455.
- Ask those completing reference forms to mail them to the Educational Leadership address listed above.
- One reference must use the Current Superintendent or Immediate Supervisor Reference.pdf and be completed by your superintendent or immediate supervisor.
- Two references must use the Additional References.pdf
Step 3 - Writing Sample
Upon notification to the Educational Leadership office that you have been admitted into the Graduate School and your application, resume, and references are complete, you will be invited to schedule an appointment to produce a writing sample.
Step 4 - Completion of EDL 600 or EDL 640
Applicants receiving qualifying scores during the screening process will be invited to enroll in either EDL 600 or EDL 640. EDL 600 is offered in the Fall Semester, and EDL 640 is offered in the Spring Semester.
Step 5 - Formal Admission into the EDS Program
Upon successful completion of either EDL 600 or EDL 640 and a positive recommendation from the instructor of the course completed, students will be formally admitted into the program by action of the Graduate Committee. Students will then be permitted to register for the remaining EDL courses of the EdS degree.