Clery Law Reports

Western Illinois University Student Right-to-Know Act, Campus Security Act, and Drug-Free School and Communities Act Information

Alcohol, Traffic and False ID Offenses ILCS
(Illinois Compiled Statutes)

  1. Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs.
    Penalty: Class A Misdemeanor
    625 ILCS 5/11-501.
    Penalty: License suspension/counseling/revocation of license.
    Second Offense: 48 hours in jail or 10 day community service.
    Third Offense or great bodily harm: Class 4 Felony.
  2. Zero Alcohol Tolerance - Driving while in violation of the underage consumption of alcohol statute.
    Penalty: Driver's License Suspension
    625 ILCS 5/11-501.8.
  3. Illegal transportation or possession of alcohol in a motor vehicle.
    Penalty: Traffic offense
    625 ILCS 5/11-502.
    Penalty: Possible driver's license suspension.
  4. Sales to persons under 21.
    Penalty: Class A Misdemeanor
    235 ILCS 5/6-16.
    Possession of Alcohol by a person under 21.
    Penalty: Class A Misdemeanor
    235 ILCS 5/6-20
  5. Unlawful use, possession/selling, manufacturing, giving or furnishing false ID to individuals. (False ID Card)
    Penalty: Class A Misdemeanor
    15 ILCS 335/14.
    Penalty: Possible driver's license suspension.
  6. Unlawful use of driver's license or permit. (False Driver's License)
    Penalty: Class A Misdemeanor
    625 ILCS 5/6-301.
    Penalty: Possible driver's license suspension.


  • Class 4 Felony: Imprisonment in a State Prison 1-3 years, fine up to $25,000.
  • Class A Misdemeanor: $2,500 fine and/or one year in jail.
  • Class B Misdemeanor: $1,500 fine and/or six months in jail.
  • Class C Misdemeanor: $1,500 fine and/or 30 days in jail.
  • Petty Offense: $1,000 fine.

You Need to be Concerned If:

  • your lifestyle includes the use of illicit drugs
  • alcoholic beverages or drugs play a significant role in your leisure activities
  • you are losing time from school due to the use of alcohol and drugs
  • your drinking or drug use makes you careless of your friends' welfare
  • you drink or use drugs to escape worries or troubles

Where to Get Help or Further Information:

  • Alcohol and Other Drug Resource Center (309)298-2457
  • WIU Counseling Center, (309)298-2453
  • Beu Health Center, (309)298-1888
  • Community Mental Health Center, (309)833-2191
  • McDonough District Hospital, (309)833-4101
  • Substance Abuse Prevention Program, Beu Health Center, (309)298-1888
  • WIU Office of Public Safety, (309)298-1949
  • Or contact your Resident Assistant, Residence Hall Director, advisor, or a faculty or staff member and ask for assistance.