School of Agriculture
Dear School of Agriculture Supporters
The School of Agriculture has been recognized as one of twelve "Signature Programs" at Western Illinois University, an honor bestowed on programs that are unique and successful. We owe this honor to our supportive administration, loyal alumni, and friends who support our students, faculty and our educational programs.
I am writing to you to ask you to become a member of our Banner Program. Your contribution will provide an advertising opportunity for you and your business by demonstrating your support to agriculture students and their parents. The many professionals and community members who visit the Livestock Center to attend our various events and activities also will view these banners on display.
Your support will generate funds to continue our "Signature Program" status, will be listed on the School of Agriculture webpage, and will be announced at our events. Last year, our Banner Program raised more than $12,000; $6,766 of which was utilized during the 2013-2014 academic year. Some of the activities include the following:
- Financially supported two student field trips - one to Monsanto in Missouri and the other to Pioneer in Iowa
- Financially supported a publication for two faculty members for tenure and promotion purposes
- Attended the Iowa State FFA convention for the first time to recruit students
- Created additional parking spaces at the Livestock Center by reducing and renovating landscape beds
- Purchased gravel for new parking spaces at the Livestock Center
- Retrofitted the electrical outlets in the welding lab to accommodate the new welding equipment
- Purchased electrode holders for some of the new multi-processing welding machines
We are extremely excited to announce that the University is funding the construction of a new greenhouse facility north of the Livestock Center, which is scheduled to be operational by October 2014. Funds raised from our Banner Program this year will fund the purchase of consumables for related research activities as well as other student enhancement opportunities. In addition, plans are underway to purchase a new cabinet for safe storage of chemicals in our agronomy lab.
Your support will demonstrate your Leatherneck Pride and your commitment to the field of agriculture. You will ensure that we continue to provide enhanced opportunities and facilities for our students, thus producing the agriculture leaders of tomorrow.
If you would like a personal tour of our facilities, including the Livestock Center where your banner will be displayed, or if you have any questions about this support drive, please feel free to contact me at (309) 298-1080 or at AJ-Baker@wiu.edu. Thanks so much for your consideration!
Dr. Andrew J. Baker, Director
School of Agriculture
Western Illinois University
"Cultivating Agricultural Leaders"
School of Agriculture Supporters
We would like to take this opportunity to thank and recognize our supporters.
- Birkey's Farm Store
- Keister's Tire Center
- Riden Farm Supply
- 1st Farm Credit Services
- MTC Communications
- AGRI-KING, Inc.
- Good Hope Fertilizer
- O'Connor Consulting & Management, Inc.
- The Lowderman Family