School of Agriculture
Dear School of Agriculture Supporters
The School of Agriculture has been recognized as one of twelve "Signature Programs" at Western Illinois University, an honor bestowed on programs that are unique and successful. We owe this honor to our supportive administration, loyal alumni, and friends who support our students, faculty and our educational programs.
I am writing to you to ask you to become a member of our Banner Foundation. Your contribution will provide an advertising opportunity for you and your business by demonstrating your support to agriculture students and their parents. The many professionals and community members who visit the Livestock Center to attend our various events and activities will view the banners on display. A sample banner is illustrated on the form.
Your support will generate funds to continue our "Signature Program" status, will be listed on the School of Agriculture webpage, and will be announced at our events. In two years, our Banner Foundation raised more than $14,000; $6,400 was utilized during the 2014-2015 academic year. Some of the activities include the following:
- Financially supported a faculty member to present at a conference in Australia
- Supported four students to attend the National Ag Chat conference in Indianapolis, IN (agriculture advocacy)
- Assisted with installation of security cameras in the new greenhouses, which were constructed in FY15
- Supported expenses for our candidates interviewing for the Precision Ag and Horticulture faculty positions
- Helped sponsor an honorarium for a visiting speaker in Ag Economics that spoke to faculty and students
- Purchased a new classroom projector and paid for the installation of the projector that malfunctioned
- Financially supported the repair and maintenance of our chainsaws for the Urban Forestry program
- Encumbered dollars to purchase a new chemical cabinet for the agronomy lab in Knoblauch Hall for proper, safe storage of laboratory chemicals
We are extremely excited to announce that we have officially moved into our two, new greenhouses that were constructed in FY15. We also had a UAV donated to the School of Agriculture by Munson Hybrids. The School of Agriculture has also been supported by the institution through hiring two new faculty members in the areas of Precision Agriculture and Horticulture. Both of these positions will be supported through the new greenhouse complex and the donated UAV.
Your support will demonstrate your Leatherneck Pride and your commitment to the field of agriculture. You will ensure that we continue to provide enhanced opportunities and facilities for our students, thus producing the agriculture leaders of tomorrow.
If you would like a personal tour of our facilities, including the Livestock Center where your banner will be displayed, or if you have any questions about this support drive, please feel free to contact me at (309) 298-1080 or at AJ-Baker@wiu.edu. Thanks so much for your consideration!
Dr. Andrew J. Baker, Director
School of Agriculture
Western Illinois University
"Cultivating Agricultural Leaders"
School of Agriculture Supporters
We would like to take this opportunity to thank and recognize our supporters.
- Birkey's Farm Store
- Keister's Tire Center
- Riden Farm Supply
- First Bankers Trust
- Sullivan/Young Farms Inc.
- Spartan Agricultural Consulting
- Citizen Bank/Ray Bunch
- Raritan State Bank
- AGRI-KING, Inc.
- O'Connor Consulting & Management, Inc.
- The Lowderman Family
- AgriGold Hybrids
- WIU Ag Student Organizations
- West Central FS
- 1st Farm Credit Services
- MTC Communications