Graduate Studies

Assistantships and Other Funding Sources

One of the questions you may be asking yourself as you consider attending graduate school is, “How am I going to pay for it?”  Below are funding sources available to graduate students. Click on the cost calculator to the right to see a quick estimate of tuition and fees.


Assistantships are competitive awards given to regularly-accepted degree-seeking students.  Graduate assistants work under the supervision of faculty mentors or administrative professionals to gain valuable experience relevant to their field of study.  In return they are paid a monthly stipend and receive a full tuition waiver for the period of employment plus one summer session before or after the period of employment.

When completing the online application to Graduate School, you may indicate that you are interested in applying for an assistantship and the assistantship application form will be automatically generated once you submit the application.  If you do not indicate interest at the time of application submission you will need to submit the Application for Graduate Assistantship form. This form only needs to be submitted ONE TIME to the School of Graduate Studies even if applying to multiple graduate programs or positions on campus.

Learn all about assistantships here.


WIU has several scholarships available to graduate students.


Federal loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students.  The Financial Aid Office can assist with any questions you may have about this option. 

Student Employment

University offices provide students the opportunity to work in their offices doing a multitude of tasks.  The Student Employment Office oversees the job listings and manages employment records.

Employer Tuition Reimbursement Programs

If you are employed, investigate your company's policy on reimbursing employees for their educational expenses.

Tax Incentives

Depending on your situation, the government may offer various tax breaks to students attending graduate school.  Be sure to talk with your tax advisor or research your options.