Campus Connection Submissions for November 2, 2012
- Mark S. Boley, Physics, along with Darwin Smith, High School Physics Teacher at Payson-Seymour High School in the Quincy, IL area—$1200 from APS-PAIR grant for mutual collaborative travel and work together to enhance their high school physics laboratory program and also to provide for the students to travel on three occasions to the WIU Physics Department for enhanced laboratory opportunities throughout the academic year.
- Virginia Boynton, History—$31,986 from the Regional Office of Education #26 (ROE#26) for "Teaching American History - Year 5." FY13
- Richard Chamberlain and Crystal Hack, both of the Center of Application of Information Technologies (CAIT)—$239,449 from the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) for "i-Pathways - Statewide Curriculum Deployment FY13." FY13
- Greg Garrett, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs (IIRA)—$6,800 from ACCION Chicago for "ACCION Chicago." FY13-14
- Dawn Hughes, Central Illinois Adult Education Service Center (CIAESC)—$115,425 from Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) for Curriculum Publications Clearinghouse - FY13." FY13
- Dawn Hughes, Central Illinois Adult Education Service Center (CIAESC)—$371,520 from Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) for "Central Illinois Adult Education Service Center." FY13
- Joyce Johanson, Center for Best Practices in Early Childhood Education (CBPECE)—$381,659 from the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) for the project entitled "Provider Connections: Credentialing and Enrollment - FY13." FY13
- Kristi Kupka, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs (IIRA)—$34,000 from Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) for "PTAC - FY13 Federal." FY13
- Karen Mauldin-Curtis, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs (IIRA)—$10,000 from various sources for "Peace Corps Community Contributions." on-going.
- Kimberlee Wisslead, Center for Application of Information Technologies (CAIT)—$23,397 from the Arkansas Commission on Child Abuse, Rape & Domestic Violence (ACCARDV) for "Arkansas Mandated Reporter Revisions & Hosting and Support." FY13
- Munia Cabal-Jimenez presented "'Usted-V' and 'Usted-T': Social dynamics of T/V system in Costa Rican Spanish. A response to 19th century globalization" at the Experimental and Empirical Approaches to Politeness & Impoliteness International Conference Aug. 29-31, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Munia Cabal-Jimenez presented "The historical development of the T/V system in Costa Rican Spanish: language and social dynamics" at the 41st Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest (LASS0) Oct. 11-13, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW).
- Jolene Willis, Wind Energy Program Coordinator, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs, was selected to serve as co-chair of the Energy Learning Exchange (ELE) Subcommittee #2 – Internships, Collaboration & Career Development as part of the Illinois Pathways initiative funded through Race to the Top.
- Brabham, Margaret A., Library Assistant, Libraries, 10/9/12.
- Carrigan, Joshua W., Computer Programmer II, Administrative Information Management Systems, 10/15/12.
- Casteel, Jenna L., Office Support Associate, Admissions, 10/4/12.
- Eck, Jeff D., Computer Programmer II, Administrative Information Management Systems, 10/22/12.
- Smith, Aaron R., Pipefitter, Building Mechanical Maintenance, 10/22/12.
- Still, Janet S., Chief Clerk, Development Office, 10/22/12.
- Stuntz, Scott S., Broadcast News Specialist, WIUM, 11/1/12.
- Trusley, Beverly K., Library Assistant, Libraries, 10/8/12.
- Wall, Katherine G., Account Technician I, Accounting Office, 10/9/12.
- Williams, Larry L., Grounds Worker, Landscape Maintenance, 9/26/12.
- Wisslead, Gregory D., Pipefitter, Building Mechanical Maintenance, 10/15/12.
- Calvert, Heather, Financial Aid Adviser III, Financial Aid promoted to Financial Aid Adviser Manager, Financial Aid, 10/1/12.
- Cripe, Laura L., Chief Clerk, Chemistry transferred to Chief Clerk, Mathematics, 10/22/12.
- Emory, John B., Automotive Technician Assistant, Transportations promoted to Grounds Worker, Landscape Maintenance, 10/9/12.
- Staley, Christine D. Office Support Specialist, Foreign Languages and Literatures promoted to Office Manager, Kinesiology, 10/29/12.
- Upton, Constance M., Office Support Specialist, Mathematics promoted to Office Manager, Psychology, 10/22/12.
- Carrigan, Amy R., Office Support Specialist, Biological Sciences, 9/26/12. Former Name: Amy Brown.
- Jackson, Rachael N., Collection Specialist, Billing & Receivable, 9/26/12. Former Name: Rachael Ranabargar.
- Andrews, Brian A., Microcomputer Support Specialist II, Libraries, 9/30/12. Accepted an A&P position on campus.
- Brown, Jeff A., Applications Programmer II, Administrative Information Management Systems, 4/30/12. Accepted an A&P position on campus.
- Clark, Mark A., Assistant Manager (IT), Electronic Student Services, 11/2/12.
- Heern, Ross W., Engineer, Physical Plant Administration, 11/2/12.
- Ramsburg, Annette S., Nurse Practitioner, Beu Health Center, 10/15/12.
Civil Service Employee of the Month
- Sara Thomas, Bookstore Manager in the University Bookstore
- Jil Price, Graduate Assistant of the Month in Athletics Media Services
- Ben Winterrowd, Student Employee of the Month in Athletics Media Services
Employees Receiving Act of Kindness Awards
- Alan Arvin
- Amber Bedee
- Dana Biernbaum
- Ben Blodgett
- Adam Broudy
- Diane Bruns
- Loran Erdmann
- Suzie Farner
- Dan Garcia
- Kate Gossell
- Travis Greenlee
- Marsha Grotts
- Tim Hallinan
- Kelsey Harrington
- Travis Hornik
- Nick Knowles
- AJ Lutz
- Cathy McMillan
- Tera Monroe
- Nathan Pittman
- Joe Roselieb
- Jodi Santillie
- Julie Terstriep
- Chuck Thomas
- Megan Thurston
- Connie Van Dyke
- Dustin Van Sloten
- Melissa Yeast
- Jody Zscheck
The WIU Foundation and the Office of Sponsored Projects is awarding twelve summer stipends in the amount of $3,000 each for Summer 2013. These grants provide opportunities for faculty to engage in projects leading to the professional advancement of the proposal writer and the enhancement of Western Illinois University in the areas of teaching, research and creative activity. While teaching, research and creative activities are expected of every faculty member, the summer stipend is intended to allow faculty to pursue projects well beyond those that can normally be pursued during the academic year. Proposals are encouraged in a wide range of categories including: research leading to publication; development of a significant curriculum proposal; creation of work leading to a performance or exhibition; mastery of a new instructional technique; and research required in preparing an application to an external granting agency.
The recipients of the proposals that will be funded for the summer of 2013
- Dean Alexander from Law Enforcement & Justice Administration
- Neil Baird from English & Journalism
- Christina Davis from Sociology & Anthropology
- Thomas Hegna from Geology
- Julieta Mihai from the School of Music
- Brian Peer from Biological Sciences
- Eric Ribbens from Biological Sciences
- Kimberly Rice from Political Science
- Susan Stewart from Management
- T.K. Vinod from Chemistry
- Bhavneet Walia from Economics & Decision Sciences
- Candace Winters-March from Theatre & Dance
The tradition continues! Join Dr. Al Goldfarb and Kim McDaniel for the 11th annual New York City Community Theatre trip, June 8-16, 2013. The trip features tickets to Broadway and off-Broadway productions as well as walking tours of various parts of New York City led by Dr. Goldfarb. Learn about various NYC landmarks and gain insights into the world of live theatre.
Two participation options are available: Full package and NYC only. The Full package option includes transportation to/from both the Illinois and NYC airports and round-trip flight. NYC only participants are responsible for making their own transportation arrangements and meet the group at the hotel. All participants enjoy an arrival night dinner, double occupancy lodging at the Hotel Edison, and tickets to at least 6 theatrical productions.
Registration begins Thursday, Nov. 15 at 8 a.m. in Memorial Hall 337. Due to the popularity of this trip, advance registrations are not accepted. To get more information, including registration forms, please contact Kim McDaniel at (309) 298-2504 or by email at KD-McDaniel@wiu.edu.
Cost: Full package: $2,685 per person, NYC only: $2,090.