Government and legal information available at WIU on related topics:
- A wealth of information including social, demographic and economic statistics is offered through this searchable database.
National Historical Geographic Information System
- This non-government site provides, free of charge (requires registration), aggregate census data and GIS-compatible boundary files for the United States from 1790 to present.
Missouri Census Data Center
- This is a mirror site for census data.
The Wayback Machine
- Use the Wayback Machine from the Internet Archive to see snapshots of Census.gov. Limited functionality is available.
Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center
- This site, hosted at Columbia University by the Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), includes international data and maps on a diverse array of topics including 1990 and 2000 Census data.
- This website, hosted by Indiana University, includes demographic and workforce data.
- Includes data for counties and available 2010 Census information
McDonough County Census Statistics
- Links include STF 1A & STF 3A tables, as well as files from USA Counties and County Business Patterns. Link to other counties from here as well.
WIU Fact Book
(2001 - )
- This book has statistics on WIU students: enrollment, major, and campus by race, gender and county/state/country of origin. For some updated figures see: Headcounts and FTE Enrollments.
IPEDS for WIU
- This data includes finance and demographic data for Western Illinois University.
- Quickly find census data by state, county, or place; also access the American Community Survey.
- The Integrated Public Use Microdata Series is a tool for advanced hard data users. This free site requires registration in order to receive the data reports that a user creates. The data available include the largest collection of individual level decennial census data anywhere and annual Current Population Survey data. Also see IPUMS-International.
Census 2000 Data Products Listed by Subject
- This is an alphabetical list of information items, from 'ability to speak English' to 'year structure built', which points (not links) to the data product(s) where the information can be found.
TIGER Map Service
- This service will produce maps from state-level to block groups with selected variables. Visit early a.m. as it tends to get swamped.
School District Demographics
- Provides acess to school district geographic and demographic data useful for describing and analyzing characteristics of school districts, children, and K-12 education
County and City Data Book 2007
- State, county, city, and place data tables for cursory population and business statistics. for earlier CCDBs back to 1944, visit
State and Metropolitan Area data Book: 2006
- Featuring 1500 data items from a variety of sources, this publication focuses on states and large population centers.
County Business Patterns
- Employment, wage, and establishment data for both states and counties is presented here.
- This database lets you find earnings by occupation, education, age, race, and gender.
Gross State Product
- This site provides access to state data for information such as wage and salary disbursements by industry, personal income by major source and earnings by industry.
Through the Decades - History of the Census
- Fast Facts, questionnaires, overviews, images, and more for each census.
IPUMS USA - Published Census Volumes
- Use this site to navigate historical census volumes and view as PDF files.
Population and Housing Items on the General Census Schedules, 1790-2000
- This spreadsheet, also available in PDF, charts the questions asked in each census.
Selected Historical Decennial Census Population and Housing Counts
- This webpage provides links to various data from 1790 to 2000.
Historical Census Browser
- This interactive website lets you produce your own tables from census data, 1790-1960.
Current Population Survey
- Find reports and tables on earnings, employment problems, education & training, labor force projections, international comparisons and poverty, to name a few.
U.S. Census Bureau International Database
- Demographic and socio-economic statistics from all countries--some data back to 1950. There is summary data for each country or choose from a list of tables that include population breakdowns, vital rates, lifetables, migration rate, marital status, contraceptive use, religious affiliation, language, and literacy. Includes options for browser display and downloading into spreadsheets, and also a user-configurable option.
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic