Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
U.S. Foreign Affairs
U.S. AGENCIES | FOREIGN POLICY | INTERNATIONAL AGENCIES | INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC & STATISTICAL INFORMATION | COUNTRY INFORMATION | MISCELLANEOUS | SUBJECT GUIDES
- State Department
- From diplomatic security to foreign per diem rates to speeches, this site offers a good start for those seeking information on U.S. foreign policy, travel, and business services.
- International Trade Administration
- This site has information on trade statistics and industries. Also get trade leads for specific industries, information on public/private partnerships and trade associations.
- United States International Trade Commission
- Links to various data by industry.
- Foreign Government Web Pages
- This list of links is contributed by Northwestern University's Government Publications & Maps Library.
- U.S. Department of State-International Policy Planning
- Find press releases, speeches and related links on various international issues/events by global region.
- Foreign Relations Series Volumes Online
- Read actual correspondence from government officials about foreign affairs issues and crises; grouped together by topic or region.
- Department of State Dispatch
- 1993 to present
- Treaties in Force
- A list of treaties and other international agreements of the United States in Force as of January 1, 2003
- United Nations (UN)
- This is the website to the United Nations.
- Europa (EU)
- This is the dedicated web site to the European Union. It includes access to many of the Union's public papers.
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- The website for the Organization of American States.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- This is the website dedicated to NATO.
- World Bank Group
- Is a development Bank which provides loans, policy advice, technical assistance and knowledge sharing services to low and middle income countries to reduce poverty.
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- The World Trade Organization is the only international organization dealing with the global rules of trade between nations.
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- The United Nations specialized agency for health. WHO's objective is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health. Health is defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
International Economic & Statistical Information
- USA Trade Online
- This site houses business and economic information and statistics including NTDB (National Trade Data Bank). This site is self-supporting - full access requires a password (available at our desk - or subscribe).
- World Fact Book
- Cursory economic data for foreign countries including GDP, unemployment, imports/exports, budget, etc.
- U.S. Census Bureau International Database
- Demographic and socio-economic statistics from all countries--some data back to 1950. There is summary data for each country or choose from a list of tables that include population breakdowns, vital rates, lifetables, migration rate, marital status, contraceptive use, religious affiliation, language, and literacy. Includes options for browser display and downloading into spreadsheets, and also a user-configurable option.
- World Leaders
- Need to know the name of the prime minister of Tuvalu? This is your site!
- Background Notes of countries
- Cursory economic, demographic, political, and foreign relations data along with some history and U.S. policy towards each country.
- Area Handbooks Series: Country Studies
- Detailed demographic, geographic, historical, political, industrial, and economic information. Of special interest recently: Afghanistan.
- World Fact Book
- Cursory economic data for foreign countries including population, GDP, unemployment, imports/exports, budget, type of government, etc.
- Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
- Human rights violations/abuses reported by the American Embassies abroad (reporting is mandated by federal law and based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights--see the preface for more info). The information is used in developing trade/international policies.
- Health Information for International Travelers
- Look here to find information on recent outbreaks/epidemics in various countries, which vaccines you should have before traveling, and suggested precautionary measures.
- Voice of America
- Links to various American international broadcasting initiatives including Radio Free Europe and Radio Marti. You can find texts of current newswire broadcasts and program info.
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic
- Civil War (U.S.)
- Constitutional Issues
- Foreign Affairs
- Illinois History
- Illinois Sites
- Indigenous Peoples
- McDonough County
- Social Issues
- Substance Abuse