Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
WIU University Dance Theatre to Host Annual Spring Gala Dance Concert April 25 & 26
April 12, 2013
MACOMB, IL - The University Dance Theatre (UDT), at Western Illinois University, will host its annual Spring Gala Dance Concert Thursday, April 25 and Friday, April 26, at 7:30 p.m. in Hainline Theatre. The concert will feature artistic works by UDT members, WIU faculty and a guest artist.
Laurie Eisenhower is the choreographer for the guest artist piece and is the artistic director of Eisenhower Dance Ensemble, Michigan's premier contemporary dance company. Rebecca Mclindon, a former Eisenhower Dance Ensemble performer, was on campus for a five-day residency in March, conducting rehearsals and teaching dance activities to UDT. Currently, Mclindon works with the Chicago Repertory Ballet, LEVELdance and several independent choreographers in the Chicago area.
Additionally, the evening includes a duet called "Symbiosis," created by Professor of Dance and Co-Artistic Director of UDT Candace Winters March and danced by students Melissa Johnson and Amanda Goerlitz.
There are 10 student works in the concert, choreographed by the following UDT members.
• Lauren Krohe (Table Grove, IL), junior, broadcasting major, dance minor, "Crafty," a trio tap routine
• Samantha Stratton (Waukegan, IL), senior, business management major, minor in marketing and dance, "Left With The Memories," a dance of eight
• Meg Kremer (Mt.Sterling, IL), sophomore, exercise science major, dance minor, "A Burdens Weight," a dance of nine
• Aimee Jarzembowski (Chicago, IL), senior, musical theatre major, "Firefly," a dance of eight
• Amanda Goerlitz (Lake in the Hills, IL), senior, general studies major, "Trois," a dance of three
• Anna Themanson (Aurora, IL), senior, sociology major, religious studies minor, "Tu Enes Mi Todo," a dance of six
• Nikki Sangiacomo (Villa Park, IL), senior, physical education major, dance minor, co-choreographed "Evolution," a dance of nine
• Alyssa Santelli (Wheaton, IL), junior, hospitality major, co-choreographed "Evolution," a dance of nine
• Melissa Johnson (Chicago, IL), senior, general studies major, "Essential," a dance of seven
• Jacqueline Bertucci (Chicago), senior, business finance major, dance minor, "Secrets," a dance of 11
• Kimberly Volk (Mt. Sterling, IL), senior, exercise science major, dance minor, "Reconciliation," a dance of five
As a finale to the two-day run of the Spring Gala Dance Concert, BCA is presenting the Eisenhower Dance Ensemble Saturday, April 27 at 7:30 p.m. in Hainline Theatre. Ten members of UDT will perform the piece Mclindon set on them, "Open Veins," as well as a "structured improvisation" by Eisenhower, which includes all 30 members of UDT.
Admission for the concert and the ensemble performance is $15 for the public, $12 for senior citizens and youth and free for WIU students with valid identification.