WIU's COFAC Adds iPhone, iPOD Touch and iPAD App for Latest News, Blogs
April 21, 2010
MACOMB, IL - - If you are away from a computer but you want to know what's happening tonight in Western Illinois University's College of Fine Arts and Communication (COFAC), it's as easy as downloading the new COFAC app (application) available free through Apple's App Store and iTunes.
Developed through AppMakr, a service from the company PointAbout, Inc., the COFAC app offers a quick way for iPhone, iPod iTouch and now iPad users to get the latest news, calendars and blogs from the college.
Motivated by the WIU News app that was released in January, COFAC Dean Paul Kreider requested Khaing Saw, the college's instructional technology systems manager, to contract with AppMaker and create a splash page with links for every department and several COFAC units.
AppMakr.com helped develop the COFAC app as a case study, according to Saw. To download the free app on an iPhone, iTouch or iPad, go to the iTunes App Store and search for "COFAC WIU," select "Free" then select "Install."
To add the app to your computer, go the to COFAC web page (wiu.edu/COFAC) and select "Available on the iPhone App Store Button" to connect to the iTunes store.
The COFAC app button provides access to the following:
- Dean's blog tab
- Events calendar tab
- Social Network tab
- Facebook page links for COFAC; Performing Arts Society (PAS); Bureau of Cultural Affairs (BCA); departments of art, broadcasting and communication; museum studies; and WIUM/WIUW
- Listen live to Tri States Public Radio link
- Listen live to WIUS 88.3 "The Dog" link
- WIU campus link
- Blog tabs for: art, broadcasting, communication and communication sciences and disorders; theatre and dance departments, Museum Studies, BCA and PAS
- Calendar tabs for School of Music calendar, Art Gallery calendar
- Local news tab for WIUM/WIUW
A YouTube video explaining the News app and COFAC app is available below.
The video is closed captioned; however, if the viewer needs an alternative format, please contact Teresa Koltzenburg, telephone (309) 298-1993, or e-mail TE-Koltzenburg@wiu.edu.
For more information about the COFAC app, contact Saw at (309) 298-2619, or e-mail KK-Saw@wiu.edu. For information about the WIU News app, contact Koltzenburg.