Timely Warning: Burglaries
August 19, 2011
MACOMB, IL -- Western Illinois University Director of Public Safety Bob Fitzgerald has issued a notice to students regarding recent burglaries from automobiles parked in an on-campus lot and from off-campus residences.
Two vehicles in the East Village parking lot have been burglarized, and according to Macomb police, local residents living near campus have reported that someone had entered their homes and stolen several items. Individuals with information on these recent burglaries should call Macomb police at 833-4505, Public Safety at 298-1949 or Crime Stoppers at 836-3222.
Fitzgerald reminds students to guard personal property by locking their vehicles and their rooms/homes. Students also should be observant of suspicious behavior and report anything out of the ordinary to the Office of Public Safety (on campus) or the Macomb Police Department (off campus).
Other safety tips recommended by OPS include:
1. Be aware of your surroundings. When walking, place books and other valuable items in a backpack.
2. Don't leave backpacks, purses, bags or books unattended. It only takes a moment for someone to steal unattended backpacks or books.
3. Students should lock their room when they leave, even if it's just for a few minutes, and when sleeping. The majority of burglaries reported to OPS involve unlocked residence hall rooms.
4. Avoid leaving items in plain view in a vehicle overnight.
5. Don't leave laundry unattended in the laundry rooms.