Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
OPS, MPD: Safeguard Property
November 16, 2011
MACOMB, IL -- The Office of Public Safety and the Macomb Police Department would like to remind individuals to guard personal property by locking offices, desks and residence hall room doors, as well as their vehicles and homes off campus, when leaving, even for a few moments, to avoid becoming a victim of a burglary.
• Residence hall rooms, office doors and homes should be locked when the occupant(s)
leave, even if it's just for a few minutes.
• Don't leave backpacks, purses, bags, books and other items unattended.
• Avoid leaving items in plain view in a vehicle overnight; lock vehicles at all times.
According to the Macomb Police Department, officers are beginning to receive reports of burglaries from homes within the community. Before leaving for the holidays, off-campus residents should ensure their doors and windows are locked; stop mail and newspaper delivery so these items don't accumulate, which is an indication that no one is home; consider installing timers on interior lights and installing exterior motion-activated lights; leave a porch light on; and ask someone to check on the property.
In addition to securing belongings and residences, individuals should, just like any other time of the year, safeguard themselves:
• Trust your instincts and use good judgment.
• Use common sense. Avoid being alone or with someone you do not know.
• Communicate to others where you are going and with whom.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Walk in groups whenever possible.
• Travel in populated, well-lit areas.
• Avoid the use of alcohol and drugs -- they impair good judgment.
Western's Student Patrol is available to provide escorts on campus during the evening to early morning hours. Student Patrol can be reached by calling OPS at (309) 298-1949. If a Student Patrol member is not available, OPS officers will also provide escorts on campus.
There are 51 emergency callboxes at strategic locations throughout the WIU-Macomb campus. Without dialing, the caller is immediately in contact with OPS; the location of the call is automatically recorded and response is almost immediate.
Public Safety (campus) or the Macomb Police Department (off campus) may also be reached in an emergency by dialing 9-1-1. In a non-emergency, the number is (309) 298-1949 (Office of Public Safety) and (309) 833-4505 (MPD).
If you have concerns or questions or need to report a crime or suspicious behavior, please call OPS or MPD.