Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Entries Sought for 2012 Environmental Summit Student Awards
January 25, 2012
MACOMB, IL -- The organizing committee for the ninth annual Environmental Summit at Western Illinois University is seeking to honor students conducting research projects in sustainability.
Awards will be given to students at the elementary, junior/senior high school and college levels who have helped promote sustainability in their organizations or communities.
The elementary school level is for students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. The junior/senior high school level is for grades 7 – 12 and the college level is for undergraduate and graduate students. Qualifying students must be from the western Illinois area or attending Western Illinois University or other local community colleges.
Winners will each receive $250, as well as recognition at the WIU Environmental Summit and a plaque.
Students should submit, in 750-1000 words, the sustainability effort(s), program or project completed during 2011. The remaining criteria includes:
1. A brief summary of the project or program
2. The waste volume/emissions reduction or land/natural resources/energy conserved
3. Were there quantifiable economic benefits derived from the activity or activities? If so please provide details
4. The commitment and ownership that you or the members in the group had in identifying, implementing, and/or providing ongoing support for these sustainability activities
5. Identify any community (or sub-community, for example: classroom or neighborhood) benefits achieved through your group's sustainability activities
6. Did the activities contribute to the cause of a larger sustainability effort? Please provide details, if so. For example, did you reduce the amount of space taken up in the landfills? Has the cost of your school or institution trash pick-up been reduced? Do you feel your project has positively affected climate change?
7. Additional information related to the scope and impact of your effort, project, or program
8. Please give a short statement regarding what the money from the award will be used for
The deadline for 2012 award applications is 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 23. Proposals should be submitted electronically at www.wiu.edu/vpas/sustainability/summit_student_awards.php.
Questions can be directed to Mandi Green, sustainability coordinator, at (309) 298-1834 or SA-Green@wiu.edu.