The Right Choice for Your Success

Jobs for International Students

International students who want to work during their time at WIU must work on campus. F and J visas do not allow a student to work off campus, nor work more than 20 hours per week (when classes are in session).  Please check with the Immigration Officer to make sure you are eligible to work. 

You  do not need a social security number  to apply for a job on campus.  If a form asks you for a social security number, leave it blank. However, you do need a job in order to apply for a social security number.  When you find a job, you will apply and receive a social security number.

You do not need to wait until you arrive to begin applying for jobs. You can apply for many on-campus jobs online. There are more students who want to work than there are available jobs; we suggest applying as soon as you are accepted to WIU. 

Undergraduate students

  • Undergraduate students may work on campus as regular student workers.
  • International students are not eligible for off campus employment or Federal Work Study (FWS).
  • Once you have a job, you will out an I-9 form. 
  • View more information about student employment

Graduate students

  • Graduate students may work as graduate assistants, research assistants, and teaching assistants. These jobs are usually within the department in which a student studies. These jobs also provide tuition waivers, which means you do not have to pay tuition, you would only pay the fees for classes, books, etc. To find out if your department has positions available, you must contact the department directly.  The International Admissions Office does not make decisions regarding asisstantship positions; you must contact the departments directly.
  • View more information about graduate assistantships
  • Graduate students may also work on-campus as regular student workers.
  • View more information about student employment


Below are links to departments that employ student workers: