Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Made up of 25 alumni appointed to three-year terms and the president of the Student Alumni Association, this board meets on a quarterly basis at WIU. Members represent the interests of alumni and serve as liaisons to 25 University areas. The council assists in the recruitment of students, selects Alumni Award recipients, and was instrumental in establishing the Student Alumni Association.
NEXT MEETING: Friday, October 11, 2013
Western Illinois University
For more information, join the Alumni Council group on RockeNetwork .
2013 Alumni Council Meetings
Saturday, January 19
Saturday, April 27
Friday, October 11
A letter from the Alumni Council President
(from the Spring 2013 Western News)
In the Fall 2012 issue of the Western News, I issued a challenge to all alumni to complete two of five opportunities to be connected with their alma mater during my two-year tenure as president. In addition, I asked Alumni Council members to complete all five opportunities. I encouraged alumni to take the challenge when I spoke with them at Homecoming and at other alumni and University events. Here are the five opportunities I presented:
1) Return to WIU for Homecoming. This is our pinnacle annual event as alumni. 2) Attend an alumni and friends event. The Alumni Association hosts events throughout the country (and even internationally), so please come and actively participate. 3) Share the WIU story. Talk to family, friends and colleagues about your experiences at Western and how they have influenced who you are. 4) Reconnect. With the variety of social media available today, it has become easier to make contact with former roommates, classmates, professors and administrators. Utilize the social media links on the alumni web site. Tell an old friend "hi" or a former professor "thank you." 5) Recruit. The strength of most organizations lies in its future members. For the Alumni Association, that starts with students. Identify friends and family exploring college, and individuals who may be seeking advancement through graduate studies, and encourage them to consider Western.
Now we have an opportunity to assess how we have done as the permanent trustees of Western Illinois University. As I have heard back from Alumni Council members, many have completed all five challenges and others are well on their way to meeting them. In an effort to gauge the progress being made toward the challenge by you (our 115,000+ alumni), we are providing a way to share your progress. Please email A-Association@wiu.edu and report your activity. I will provide a summary of our results in the Summer 2013 issue of The Western News.
I noted at the start of my term as president that Western Illinois University was in a time of change. We are now in a time of growth and strategically pursuing excellence as a university. Despite economic challenges, progress is made through the things that are done by faculty, staff, students and alumni to make Western a great place to learn and grow. Be a part of that growth and pursuit of excellence: complete the challenge and THINK PURPLE!
Kristopher L. Kelly '90 MS '92
Alumni Council Members Sought
The WIU Alumni Association is looking for dedicated leaders of all ages, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, career fields, etc. to serve on the WIU Alumni Council. If you or someone you know is an active alumnus that would be a good candidate, please send the nomination form and resume to the Alumni Association at 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455 or fax (309)298-2914. The deadline is March 1. (You may save and email your form to A-Association@wiu.edu only if your computer has Adobe Acrobat Professional, not Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
Or, click here to print off and then fill out the nomination form.
2012 - 2013 Council Members
- Harvey Ahitow 1968
- Mishelle Banas 1997
- Matt Bills 1999
- Katie Borth 2003, 2004
- James Carter 1975
- Roger Clawson 1977 - Past President
- Jerry Cremer 1989
- Mona D'Antonio 1976
- Kirk W. Dillard 1977 (Ex Officio Member)
- Lana Flesner 2014
- Chuck Giger 1970
- Brett Goad 1974, 1976
- Rhonda Haffner 1987
- Kris Kelly 1990 1992 - President
- Fred Longacre 1964
- Lisa Lyons 2003, 2005
- Jeff McElroy 1997 - Vice President
- Vian Neally 1996, 2002
- Jay O'Brien 1978
- Shari Rich 1991, 1993
- Matt Saey 2006
- John Sanders 1974
- Brian Savage 1973
- Carol Scott 1970 - Secretary
- Kathy Sullivan 1978
- Dan Szajna 2000
- Matthew Toland 2005, 2010
Alumni Council Featured Member
Jeff McElroy 1997; Vice President
Degree: Communication & Sec. Ed (Political Science - Minor) from WIU, JD-The John Marshall Law School-2003
Business Information: Attorney, McElroy Law Office in Yorkville, Illinois
Advice for Freshman: Take advantage of all the campus has to offer. There are both collegiate and intramural athletics, a variety of extracurricular activities, as well as cultural, musical and theatrical opportunities.
Favorite WIU Memory: Being voted by my peers as the 1995 Homecoming King, that was also the year I began dating my wife Julie '97. I also enjoyed being a founding father of the Kappa Lambda Chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha.
Family Information: I'm married to Julie who's a Jr. High Spanish teacher in Oswego, Illinois. We have a son named Lucas Scott.