Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Summer Stipend Recipients Announced
The Western Illinois University Foundation and the WIU Office of Sponsored Projects has announced the winners of the internal grant competition for Summer 2011. These 13 stipends, in the amount of $3,000 each, provide opportunities for faculty to engage in projects leading to the professional advancement of the proposal writer and the enhancement of WIU in the areas of teaching, research and creative activity.
The recipients and their respective departments are as follows:
- Donna Aguiniga and Karen Zellmann, social work
- Esteban Araya, physics
- Victoria Baramidze and Amy Ekanayake, mathematics
- Lee Brice and Edward Woell, history
- Jonathan Day, political science
- Everett Hamner, Timothy Helwig and Amy Patrick-Mossman, English and journalism
- Jo-Ann Morgan, African American studies
- Andrea Porras-Alfaro, biology
- Melissa Stinnett, curriculum and instruction
While teaching, research and creative activities are expected of every faculty member, the summer stipend is intended to allow faculty to pursue projects well beyond those that can normally be pursued during the academic year. Proposals are encouraged in a wide range of categories including: research leading to publication; development of a significant curriculum proposal; creation of work leading to a performance or exhibition; mastery of a new instructional technique; and research required in preparing an application to an external granting agency. For more information about the stipend program, contact Lisa Krieg in the Office of Advancement and Public Services at (309) 298-1808 or LL-Krieg@wiu.edu.