Campus Connection Submissions for April 6, 2012
- Neil Baird and Bradley Dilger, English & Journalism—$10,000 from the National Council of Teachers of English for "Barriers to Writing Transfer: Writing in the Major at the '2 + 2' University." FY12-13
- Richard Chamberlain, CAIT— $18,274 from the Illinois Community College Board for "Basic Skills Test Prep Hosting/Support." FY12
- Robin Hanna, IIRA— $1,000 from various sources for "RETAC Services." Ongoing
- Gordon Rands, Management—$11,092 from Northern Michigan University for "A Brazilian and U. S. Partnership for People, Planet and Profits - Year 4." FY12
- Joanne Sellen, WESL— $1,000 from the Educational Testing Service for "Identifying Factors Related to Improvements on Selected Major English Language Proficiency Tests." FY12-13
- Lori Sutton, IIRA— $4,562 from various sources for "Continuum of Care Support." Ongoing
- Lisa Wen and Jenq Huang, Chemistry— $2,900 from the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for "ASBMB Travel Award - 2012." FY12
- Kathy Barclay, Professor in Curriculum and Instruction presented "Meeting the Common Core Standards for Informational Literature" at the annual conference of the Michigan Reading Association on March 10, and at the Illinois Reading Council's annual conference on March 16. She presented "Choosing and Using a Core Reading Program" at the Virginia State Reading Association Conference on March 14.
- Kathy Barclay, Professor in Curriculum and Instruction published: The Big Five...Plus! Essential Elements of Early Reading Programs. In, Primer, the journal of the Massachusetts Reading Association. Vol. 40, No. 2, 2011/2012.
- Jonathan Day, political science, presented "A Political Science Simulation--Implications of a Mock Presidential Election for Student Learning" at the 2012 Illinois Conference on Political Science, History and Sociology held at Elgin Community College on February 25. Co-authors of the paper include Keith Boeckelman, interim chair of political science, Casey Lafrance, political science, Rick Hardy, interim director of the honors college and David Rohall, director of WIU's Survey Research Center.
- Casey LaFrance and Jonathan Day, political science, presented "The Relationship Betwen Years in Service and Prioritization of Agency Rules in Local Law Enforcement Organizations: Data from Iowa, Illinois and Georgia" at the 2012 Illinois Conference on Political Science, History and Sociology held at Elgin Community College on February 25.
- Jolene Willis, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs presented and moderated the "County Ordinance Key Provisions & Tax Issues" panel of the Illinois Wind Working Group's Siting, Zoning & Taxing Wind Farms in Illinois conference on February 8th in Normal, IL.
- Campbell, Susanne C., Nurse Practitioner, Beu Health Center, 1/30/12.
- Eck, Shelby R., Office Support Specialist, Development Office, 1/12/12.
- Melvin, Cal, Stationary Fireman Helper, Heating Plant, 1/9/12.
- Schluter, Rebecca S., Office Support Specialist, Athletics, 1/23/12.
- Thompson, Sharon K., Office Support Specialist, Dietetics, Fashion Merchandising and Hospitality, 1/3/12.
- Arnold, Kellie J., Re-employment to Office Support Associate, Newspaper Acct, 3/1/12.
- Bell, Marie F., Office Support Specialist, Chemistry transferred to Office Support Specialist, Engineering Technology, 1/3/12.
- Derry, Ashley, Library Assistant, Libraries promoted to Library Specialist, Libraries, 1/29/12.
- Sinnett, Tammy L., Building Service Worker, Building Services promoted to Building Service Foreman, Building Services, 1/9/12.
- Vanmeenen-Misfeldt, Terri B., Financial Aid Adviser I, Financial Aid promoted to Office Support Specialist, Financial Aid, 1/9/12.
- Yadgar, Michael K., Broadcasting Engineer, Television Services, 1/2/12.
- Apel, Leslie E., Chief Clerk, Visual Production Center, 1/27/12.
- Litchfield, Gary L., Painter, Building Maintenance, 1/3/12.
- Lackey, John H., Plumber Sub-Foreman, Building Mechanical Maintenance, 12/31/11.
Changes In Civil Service Personnel 3/19/12
- Bonifas, Brant B. Police Officer, Public Safety, 3/8/12.
- Carey, Greg M., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/21/12.
- Cripe, Laura L., Chief Clerk, Chemistry, 3/2/12.
- Cunningham, Shelly M., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 3/19/12.
- DeWeese, Sandra L., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/20/12.
- Dorethy, Ryan L., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/21/12.
- Elliott, Jarrod J. Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/22/12.
- Gipson, Robert E., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/20/12.
- Hostert, Karen L., Financial Aid Adviser I, Financial Aid, 2/20/12.
- Kapraun, Nathan G., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/6/12.
- Koontz, Peggy J., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/20/12.
- Kubis, Jason W., Microcomputer Support Specialist II, Libraries, 3/26/12.
- Kuck, Sheila L., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/20/12.
- Rhodes, Keith C., Building Service Worker, Building Services, 2/21/12.
- Smith, McKenzie M., Police Officer, Public Safety, 6/18/12.
- Sutherland, Amos M., Police Officer, Public Safety, 3/5/12.
- Finch, Brandon J., Stationary Fireman Helper, Heating Plant promoted to Stationary Fireman, Heating Plant, 1/4/12.
- Irwin, Tamara L., Chief Clerk, Center for International Studies promoted to Staff Clerk, English & Journalism, 2/20/12.
- Prosise, Linda K., Admissions/Records Representative, Registrar promoted to Administrative Assistant I, Provost & Academic Vice President, 3/12/12.
- Allison, Cheryl A., Academic Contact Specialist, Provost & Academic Vice President, 2/29/12.
- Bitner, Michael S., Police Telecommunicator, Public Safety, 2/29/12.
- Schmitt, Larry W., Electrician, Building Maintenance, 2/29/12.
WIU’s Annual Symposium on Teaching, Research and Creative Activities was held on March 23 in the University Union. This year’s theme was “Science and Technology: Discover, Innovate and Create and featured keynote speaker Dr. Iris Stovall, the Director from the Illinois Virtual Campus, University of Illinois.
The symposium featured a faculty showcase and concurrent sessions. The concurrent session presentations by WIU faculty featured the top three presentations in tracks such as Research Development Activities and Professional Research. The winner of these tracks, and an additional track for New Faculty, received $500 from CITR to further their research agenda. CITR is pleased to announce the following winners:
New Faculty Research Award
Rebekah Buchanan, English and Journalism
Writing a Riot: Reframing Punk and Feminism Through Riot Grrl Zines
Professional Research and Creative Activities
In Lee, School of Computer Sciences
Social Shopping in Franchising: From Cooperation to Collaboration
Research Development Activities
Rafael Obregon, Engineering Technology
Design of Lightweight Engines for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
Congratulations to our winners!