WIU Student Newspaper Wins State Awards
March 4, 2013
MACOMB, IL – The student-run newspaper at Western Illinois University, The Western Courier, earned 12 awards at the Illinois College Press Association's (ICPA) annual convention in Chicago Friday, Feb. 22 and Saturday, Feb. 23.
"This was a great showing by the staff of the Western Courier," said Rich Moreno, director of Student Publications and adviser to the Courier. "The Courier has a number of talented writers, editors and photographers, who work very hard, and it's nice to see them gain some recognition for their efforts."
Western Courier staff members who earned awards were:
- James Needham, senior, journalism (Macomb) – second place for Best Feature Story
- Alyse Thompson, fall 2012 graduate, journalism (West Chicago) – honorable mention for Best Feature Story
- Samantha Fowler, fall 2012 graduate, graphic communication (Macomb) – second place for Best Graphic
- Courier photo staff: third place for Best Photo Essay
- Nick Stewart, sophomore, meteorology (Chicago) – third place for Best Sports Photo
- Courier news staff: third place for Front Page Design
- Bill Welt, fall 2012 graduate, master's degree in history (Springfield) – third place for Best Indepth Reporting
- TJ Fowler, fall 2012 graduate, journalism (Macomb) – third place Best Indepth Reporting
- Alexander Rieger, senior, journalism (Hawthorn Woods) – third place for Best Sports Page Design
- Garrick Hodge, junior, broadcasting (Winthrop Harbor, IL) – third place Best Sports Page Design and Best Sports Column and honorable mention for Best Game Day Story
- Courier opinions staff: Honorable mention for Best Opinions Page
The ICPA membership includes 39 college and university papers in Illinois. ICPA awards were judged by a panel of professional newspaper journalists from papers throughout the state.
For more information, contact The Western Courier office at (309) 298-1876. Access the The Western Courier on its website at www.westerncourier.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WesternCourier.