Student Life

Total University Withdrawal

The thought of leaving Western Illinois University can be a large decision and we are here to assist. Staff in the Student Development and Success Center are committed to answering questions, assisting you through the process, or finding ways to aid you in finding success here at Western Illinois University.

You can contact the Student Development and Success Center located on the first floor of Memorial Hall, room 125 during regular business hours. Email, call 309-298-1884, or walk in Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. to set up an appointment.

Withdrawal Checklist

✔ Drop Your Class(es)


If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must officially withdraw from your classes to avoid receiving failing grades. Requests must be received by the published deadline dates for the term. Students may withdraw from the university in one of the following ways:

  • Prior to the first day of the semester, a student may completely withdraw from the University through STARS.
  • On or after the first day of the semester, students who are classified as full-time students must complete a Student Withdrawal Request or come in person to the Student Development and Success Center, located on the first floor of Memorial Hall, Room 125, during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Photo ID is required.
  • A student may withdraw from full semester courses during the first 10 weeks of the regular spring and fall semester. After the last day to withdraw, only students with exceptional and documented circumstances may appeal for late withdrawal from the University. Check STARS Course Search for course-specific deadline dates.
✔ Contact The Financial Aid Office

If you have received financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of aid. Financial aid includes scholarships, grants, loans, and any financial aid refund you have received. If you do not attend your classes or do not officially withdraw, you will receive failing grades and may be required to repay all or some of your financial aid. If you are transferring to another college/university, notify the WIU Financial Aid Office to see what steps are required to transfer your financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office at or (309) 298-2446.

✔ Cancel Your Housing Contract

If you live in on-campus housing, contact University Housing and Dining Services at or (309) 298-3000 for information on how to cancel your housing contract.

If you rent off-campus, contact your landlord to discuss your options.

There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease. These penalties often increase over time so check on these as soon as possible when you are considering withdrawing from the University. The severity of these penalties may influence your decision.

✔ Pay Any Remaining Balance On Your Student Account

You may be responsible for all or part of your tuition and fees if you withdraw after the first day of classes. For more information on the amount you may be charged for tuition and fees based on your date of withdrawal, please go to The Office of the Registrar.

You will not be able to request an official transcript if any unpaid charges remain on your student account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action. To inquire about your account status, contact the Billing and Receivables Office at (309) 298-1831 or

Please be aware it may take up to 30 days following your withdrawal for your account to reflect the accurate balance. You may view your account on STARS by selecting Account Detail.

✔ Return Any Books, Equipment Or Material On Loan From The University

Text books, Library books, lab equipment, keys and other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.

✔ Check On Your Insurance

Depending upon the date of withdrawal, you may remain covered or eligible for the health insurance coverage for the semester through the University. For more information, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at (309) 298-1882.

✔ International Students

If you are an international student planning on withdrawing from the University, please contact WIU's Immigration Advisor at 298-1806 prior to your withdrawal. Failure to properly report your withdrawal could negatively impact your visa status. For more information contact the admissions officers in the School of Graduate Studies at (309) 298-1806 or email

✔ Update Your Address & Phone Number

Log onto STARS to update your address and phone number. Under the "My Profile" tab, select "Addresses" then click on the "Student Addresses Update" link. Update all addresses and phone numbers as needed and click the "Save Changes" button.

✔ Order Your Transcript

If you need to have your WIU transcript sent to another institution, please see the order options at . All outstanding financial obligations must be cleared before transcripts can be released. Please contact the Registrar's Office at with any questions.

✔ Return To Western

If you decide to return to Western after being away from the institution for at least one semester, you must submit a readmission application. You will also need to contact your academic advisor and clear any administration encumbrances prior to re-enrolling.

Withdrawal appeal

Student Development and Success Center will consider undergraduate student appeals for a late total University withdrawal when a student has experienced extenuating circumstances beyond their control and can provide documentation. Appeals should provide the following:

  • A letter from the student requesting the total University withdrawal with a thorough explanation as to why the request is being made and why the withdrawal was not made by the University deadline. The letter should include the student's ID number, mailing address, and the semester and year in which the student wishes to totally withdraw. This may be an email.
  • Documentation of the reason for the student's appeal should be attached to the letter of appeal. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain and attach all documentation as well as provide written releases to the appropriate offices.
  • The student letter and supporting documentation should be sent to Student Development and Success Center, 125 Memorial Hall or Faxes may be sent to (309) 298-2361.

Documentation may include:

  • Death - a copy of the death notice, obituary, death certificate, or funeral bulletin.
  • Illness or accident - written verification from the doctor on office letterhead, hospital bills, copies of medical bills, or accident reports.
  • Personal - verification from the counselor, medical associate, or supportive facility verifying dates attended/treated and/or comments they feel comfortable making; letter from employer regarding changes in job responsibilities, work hours, position, or position change, a significant and unexpected change in living arrangements.
  • Legal - copies of proceedings, verification from attorney, police reports, etc.
  • Judicial - copies of letters concerning hearings, statement from the Student Rights and Responsibilities, or a statement from the Office of Public Safety (OPS) reports.
  • Loss of Transportation - copies of car repair statements, accident reports, insurance claims, etc.

Important Notes

  • If you are currently enrolled, continue to attend class until you have been notified of the resolution of your request for a late total University withdrawal. Do not assume your appeal will be approved.
  • It is recommended you contact SDSC to ensure all documentation has been received as it is your responsibility for the file to be complete before the appeal is heard.
  • SDSC meets every week after the last day to totally withdraw from the University when school is in session.
  • Students who provide false information as part of an appeal will be reported to  Student Rights and Responsibilities  for violating the  Code of Student Conduct .
  • If the term has ended, appeals should be sent to and will be heard by the Council on Admission, Graduation, and Academic Standards (CAGAS) in care of the Office of the Registrar, Sherman Hall 110 or