Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Student Computer Recommendations
University Technology recommends the following minimum requirements for student-owned computers brought to campus.
Already Own a Computer?
We recommend that all computers* (laptops/notebooks and desktop computers) have the following minimum specifications:
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon
- RAM: 2 GB (Mac and PC)
- Hard Drive: 120 GB
- Optical Drive: CD-ROM
- Operating System: Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.6
- Video Card: OnBoard (Integrated)
- Network Card: 100 Mb Ethernet network card/adaptor
- *Wireless Card (only if using a laptop/notebook computer): 802.11 b
Looking to Purchase a New Computer?
We recommend that all new computers* (laptops/notebooks and desktop computers) have the following minimum specifications:
- CPU: Intel Core i5
- RAM: 4 GB (Mac and PC)
- Hard Drive: 750 GB
- Optical Drive: CD/DVD burner (Mac: Super Drive)
- Operating System: Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.8
- Video Card: AMD/nVidia (dedicated/discreet for laptops, 512 MB memory for desktops)
- Network Card: Gigabit ethernet network card/adaptor
- *Wireless Card (only if using a laptop/notebook computer): 802.11 b/g/n
- Microsoft Word 2010 (PC) or Word 2011 (Mac)
- Microsoft Excel 2010 (PC) or Word 2011 (Mac)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (PC) or PowerPoint 2011 (Mac)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Java uninstalled or disabled (why disable Java?)
- Antivirus software (WIU provides Symantec Endpoint Protection for free to all students)
- Mathematica (optional free software for all students)
Broadcasting Student Requirements
The Broadcasting department has specific computer requirements for all incoming students. All broadcasting students much purchase a MacBook Pro computer, an external hard drive, and specific software. Details on the computer requirements for Broadcasting students can be located on the Department of Broadcasting website.
Other Academic Department Requirements
Consult your specific academic department for discipline specific hardware and software needs.