University Housing Policy

Because living in the residence hall is such an important part of your college experience, all freshman and sophomore students (defined as less than 60 credit hours) are required to live in a University residence hall. All exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing through the petition process. 

Exemptions to the Housing Policy

A Housing Petition Form and any other additional documentation relating to the reason(s) is required for exemption from the University Housing policy.  

  • Student is 24 years of age or older 
  • Student is married and/or has a child (Copy of marriage and/or birth certificate required)
  • Student has one year active military service (Copy of DD-214 required)
  • Student has lived in on-campus housing for at least four semesters (If not at WIU, student must provide proof of residency) 
  • Student will be living with parent/legal guardian at their permanent address if within 40 miles of the University (Statement from parent/legal guardian is required) 
  • Medical or Dietary purposes (Medical Exemption Form completed by physician is required, in addition to a completed Housing Petition Form )

Students who are required to live on campus and do not have an approved petition on file are subject to a non-compliance charge .

Students who break their contract are subject to a contract breakage fee .

Housing Petition Review Procedures

  1. Upon receipt of all the required information, the University Housing and Dining Services Office will evaluate your request. You will be notified of a decision as soon as possible. Typically, a decision will be rendered no later than one week after all documentation has been filed in the University Housing and Dining Services Office. All decisions will be communicated in writing.
  2. If the student's request for an exemption is denied, the student may appeal the decision by submitting an appeal request letter to the Housing Review Board, University Housing and Dining Services, indicating that it is a petition appeal. If the appeal is not approved, the student may submit a final appeal to the Executive Director of Student Services.
  3. Submission of an appeal does not relieve a student of any current financial or residency obligations.
  4. Students who receive approval for a change of local residency are required to complete a change of address card in the Registrar's Office.
  5. Students who receive approval for release from the residence halls, and have a current housing contract, must fill out a Contract Cancellation Form in Seal Hall before being officially released from their contract. The student must also follow correct checkout procedures in the residence hall.





Completed petitions and other required documentation should be submitted:

By mail to: 

Western Illinois University
University Housing & Dining Services
1 University Circle
Seal Hall
Macomb, IL 61455

By Fax to: (309) 298-2122
By Email to: UHDS@wiu.edu