Financial Aid

Financial Aid Handbook & Policies

Monetary Award Program (MAP)

By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. If you were determined to meet the eligibility criteria for the MAP grant, an award is included on this award letter. This award may be an estimate made by the financial aid office and, if so, is identified as a "State of IL MAP Grant (Est)". MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible.

Eligibility for a MAP grant is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf. This is called MAP Paid Credit Hours. Payment for each term is being made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours.

There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status for your MAP grant eligibility to resume. The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be received is capped at 135.

If a State of IL MAP Grant (Est) is not included in your award letter, you are not eligible for the grant at Western Illinois University.

A MAP award is based on 15 semester hours of attendance. If your course load is between 3 and 14 hours per semester, your MAP grant will be prorated based on your enrolled hours. MAP will not pay for audit, graduate, or credit-by-examination coursework.

The MAP grant cannot exceed actual charges for tuition and university fees. Your MAP award may be adjusted if you receive any other type of assistance which pays for tuition and/or fees, OR if you receive gift aid (scholarships and grants) in excess of your cost of attendance.