Financial Aid

Transfer Students

Undergraduate transfer students pursuing a first bachelors degree can be considered for the following types of aid:

  • Grants : Funds that are not repaid. The most common grants received by WIU students are the Federal Pell Grant and the Illinois Monetary Assistance Program (MAP) Grant.
  • Scholarships : Funds that are not repaid. Scholarships at WIU are awarded through the Scholarship Office or University departments and generally require an additional application.
  • Student Employment : Funds that the student earns while enrolled. Opportunities include both regular student employment and Federal Work Study.
  • Loans : Funds that must be repaid. Loans are available for both students and parents.
Transfer Students

Application Requirements

To be considered for most federal and state programs, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year you plan on attending. For example, if you plan on attending during the Fall 2019 - Spring 2020 school year, you will want to complete a 2019-20 FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1, 2018.

Any additional applications, requirements, and deadlines will be listed with aid-specific information under Types of Aid.

Additional Information

If you are transferring mid-year and have already completed your FAFSA, you will need to log on to FAFSA and add WIU’s school code (001780) to your application - this will send your current FAFSA to our office for review. Also make sure to contact your current school’s Financial Aid Office to notify them of your transfer.

In addition, new transfer students who have earned a qualifying associates degree preceding their enrollment at WIU may be eligible for a Western Commitment Transfer Scholarship.

If you haven’t already, make sure to visit Undergraduate Admissions!