Financial Aid

International Students

Most grants, scholarships, and loans from public and private sources are restricted to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

International students who meet eligibility requirements and are pursuing their first bachelors degree may be eligible for undergraduate-level aid. International students who meet eligibility requirements and are pursuing a graduate degree may be eligible for graduate-level aid.

Application Requirements

Eligibility for federal and state financial aid requires that international students be considered a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You are considered an eligible non-citizen if you are one of the following:

International Students

  • U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card”), or
  • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C), or
  • Other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Indefinite Parole,” “Humanitarian Parole,” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant,” or
  • A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM).

If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not eligible for federal student financial aid. Also, people with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student financial aid.

For eligible non-citizens to be considered for most federal and state programs, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year you plan on attending

Any additional applications, requirements, and deadlines will be listed with aid-specific information under Types of Aid.

Additional Information

General information and additional resources helpful to international students are available online at eduPASS.

International student scholarships are available through the School for Global Education and Outreach. If you haven’t already, make sure to visit International Admissions!